Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

Chrysler Newport: I have an old Chrysler(1961 classic) none…

Customer Question
I have an old Chrysler(1961...
I have an old Chrysler(1961 classic) none of the lighting system works, but the car starts.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Classic Car
6/7/2015
Classic Car Mechanic: George H., Technician replied 3 years ago
George H.
George H., Technician
Hello I will help you with your question,
Do you have a voltmeter to check the red wire at the light switch and see if it has power (battery voltage)?
Is the car rusted?
voltage is good, car is not rusty, fuses are all good.
What is the voltage and how much is it when you test at the switch with the switch connected and turned on?
George, ALL the lighting does not work, dome, backup, dash, turn signals , headlights & tail etc.You can call, I've tried almost everybody here! (Iowa) (###) ###-####
Sorry I can't make a phone call.
I usually start with one part and test that system and see what is stopping it from working. Often that is the same problem for everything but you can only test one circuit at a time.
Do you want to proceed?
Can you make the test I outlined above?
George, I have a "rinky dink" volt meter, It only reads to ways -- good or bad, and it reads good.
Can I call you? I'm 67 , had one of these in high school in the 60's and decided to get one & restore it 15 years ago.
The electrical all worked a year ago. The resistor was smoking last night when I was "messing" with it. ??
Can it be the regulator?
I am sorry but I am unable to speak on the phone.
It could be a lot of things and the only way to know is to test. Can you get a voltmeter?
I can get a volt meter tomorrow. Everything is closed now. Can I call you? I think I saw a tab here that said to talk on line too.
I am unable to speak on the phone, please post back here when you are ready to test and let me know what you find, I plan on being here tomorrow.
Thank you