K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician, Associates Degree in Automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

Ford Fairlane gta: , I have a 390 ford in a 66 fairlane and

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 390 ford in a 66 fairlane and got it out for the season.Noticed the starter would not engage to the flex plate correctly and intermittently would not engage to the teeth at all but just a starter spin any ideas? Thanks,
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 2 years ago.
Hello, the ford FE series engines did not use shims. There where to flywheel tooth patterns one from 58-64 then 65 up. So with it not engaging properly it could be the wrong starter for that flywheel or more likely worn teeth on the starter drive. As for the starter just spinning and not engaging that's a sign of a bad starter bendix.
My suggestion would be to replace the starter.