Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

Ford Fairlane gta: , I have a 390 ford in a 66 fairlane and…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a 390...
Hi, I have a 390 ford in a 66 fairlane and got it out for the season.Noticed the starter would not engage to the flex plate correctly and intermittently would not engage to the teeth at all but just a starter spin any ideas? Thanks,
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Classic Car
6/4/2015
Classic Car Mechanic: K. Wiggins, Classic Car Mechanic replied 3 years ago
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Classic Car Mechanic
Hello, the ford FE series engines did not use shims. There where to flywheel tooth patterns one from 58-64 then 65 up. So with it not engaging properly it could be the wrong starter for that flywheel or more likely worn teeth on the starter drive. As for the starter just spinning and not engaging that's a sign of a bad starter bendix.
My suggestion would be to replace the starter.
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Classic Car Mechanic