Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

I have a 1964 ford falcon and i just replaced the plugs and…

Customer Question
i have a 1964 ford...
i have a 1964 ford falcon and i just replaced the plugs and wires in it and the car wont start. i already checked to see if i have fuel coming in and i do. what should i do next?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Classic Car
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
how do i call?
5/25/2015
Classic Car Mechanic: Roy Belding, Classic Car Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Roy Belding
Roy Belding, Classic Car Mechanic
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist
did you have this issue prior to replacing the plugs???
did you replace the points and condenser???
Roy
no i havent replaced anything besides the plugs and wires, and no i didnt have a starting problem but it was running rich so i replaced the plugs and wires
ok.I would check the gap on the points. they should be .018 on the high point of the cam.
is this the 170 or 200 motor???
check the choke plate in the carb to be sure it is completely open. if it is closed or partially closed it will run rich
the other reason is a bad power valve in the carb. that will cause a rich running issue.
Roy
online it was saying the gap should be .035 on the spark plugs
and im almost positive i have a 200 motor im not sure though
yes, that is for the plugs, not the points.
Roy
how do i go about checking the points?
It now also starts then acts like its going to turn off the starts again and does this over and over again
you need to remove the distributor cap and rotor. they will be on a mounting plate. you can hand turn the motor and watch the movement. there will be 6 high points on the shaft as it rotates, one for each cylinder. when the points open fully on one of the high spots, that is where you would check the gap for the points. there are 2 screws securing the point set to the distributor. loosen the screws and you can move the points to open or close as needed. the gap that is needed is .018.
Roy
Yes the points are st .018
ok, good. then you need to check the ignition timing. you would need a timing light to perform this operation. once that is done, you have completed the basics.
it sounds like you have carb issues with the stalling and running rich.
Roy
how are you making out???
please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way we get paid for our efforts
Roy
Im not able to time it tonight because its getting dark and im the only one working on it at the moment and it wont start
ok, when you get back to it, check and see if it has spark.
Roy
how are you making out??
Roy
is there anything else I can help you with??
Roy
How would i go about checking if there is spark?
remove the wire from the top of the distributor cap and set it close to a piece of metal on the motor. then crank the motor and look for a spark jump
Roy
Roy Belding
Roy Belding
Roy Belding, Classic Car Mechanic