Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

Pontiac GTO: ***** ***** a 1966 GTO (numbers are correct) that the

Customer Question

I have a 1966 GTO (numbers are correct) that the hood will not close to the correct height in the rear, it never has since purchased in 1986. When closed the front latch works and hood fit is correct in front but the edge by the windshield is a couple inches up and there seems to be no fix except to drill lower holes as suggested by a body shop. I purchased different hinges for a 1966 GTO and they are the exact same. Is it just an alignment thing I'm not comprehending? Thank you, Joe
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
Hello I will help you with your question,
Have you lubed the hinges and lowered the bottom hinge mount as far as possible?
Does it look like the hinges are bent?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
lubed not bent . also tryed another pair same result.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
also lowered as much as possible
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
If you push down on the back of the hood does it close?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no but it will move a bit , not much
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
Are there bumpers at the rear holding it up?
Can you post pictures of the hinge area?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I wondered if it was a different model car fender on front with the badges then attached. Not able to send photos. There are no bumpers holding the hood up.
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, if you can't push it down and don't have bumpers then you certainly have an alignment issue or a parts problem and I can help with that from here so I will OPT OUT of your question and maybe another tech will have a suggestion for you
Sorry I could not help
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for trying it is appreciated
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time.
It used to be real common back in the day to see GM car driving around with the back of the hood up high. The hinge geometry tends to create this condition. Adjustment, lack of lubrication, and being worn are the factors that make the hod rise up in the back. Once enough wear occurs in the hinge there is no cure but to replace the hinge. If you install another hinge with wear it wont help, I have seen this a lot. There are several pivot points on the hinge they all need lube, spray can grease is the best lube. This grease has a solvent in it and it is thin. That allows it to run in to places that would be hard to get grease into. Once the solvent evaporates, you have thick grease where you need it.
The way to proceed is to lube all the pivot points, soak it good, you can wipe off the excess afterwords. Then loosen the bolts where the hinge bolts to the body, and push the front of the hood all the way open and back. Hold it hard in this position, and get someone to tighten the bolts. This sets the back of the hoof to the lowest position. Close the hod slowly after this and any adjustment. The adjustment might need some refinement. Go over all of this and if you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.
I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.