How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ASEMaster35yrs Your Own Question
ASEMaster35yrs, Master Auto Tech
Category: Classic Car
Satisfied Customers: 2095
Experience:  Master Auto tech since 1972,I own a 65 mustang and have built a 57 ford race car from the bottom up
Type Your Classic Car Question Here...
ASEMaster35yrs is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

ford skyliner: Hi, i have a 1957 ford skyliner, i am putting

This answer was rated:

Hi, i have a 1957 ford skyliner, i am putting in a new gas tank in a project car (car came without tank). How do I seal the filler neck to the tank, the vent tube has a small hose to clamp on fill tube to tank, but the fill tub it self just slides into the tank, no connecting hose no even a grove for an O ring... i don't have an old tank to look at so i am not sure maybe it is glued in to seal it ?????

ASEMaster35yrs :

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you saying there is no filler neck on the tank you are installing? If so you can flux weld or solder the filler neck to the tank. Glue will not hold. A stock gas tank should already come with the filler neck secured to tank.

ASEMaster35yrs :

I'm switching to Q&A format to be notified of your response.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the tank for the 1957 skyliner comes with out a filler neck. I have the original neck that came with the car (with out tank) there is on sign of it ever being soldered or brazed to the old tank and again no sign of a hose conection between tank and filler. the fill pipe slides into the drivers side of the tank and the vent pipe conects to the vent on the tank with a very short hose and clamps.. All other tanks I have replaced come with the filler attached. But every tank I have looked at for a 1957 ford skyliner shows no filler tube..So I must be missing a step in sealing this fill pipe..

The skyliner had a relocated gas tank (behind the back seat instead of under the trunk floor). The filler neck is a short piece attached which is welded to the tank and a large fuel hose clamps to it with a large hose clamp. See link below for picture. 3rd frame.


Are you talking about the other end where gas nozzle goes in?

Can you post a picture of what your tank looks like?

If the fuel hose you are using is tight enough fit to filler neck, you won't need a clamp but it's always a good idea to use one if you want to be sure of no leaks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, the hole on the third frame is where the neck slids into. to put a hose conection on at that point would be great, but in no part book that I have does it show the hose that would make the conection. to be right, the conecting hose would be bigger on the tank side and a little smaller on the pipe side. that is why I am asking what is the correct way to connect and seal the fill tube to the tank???

I will need to do some research on the hose that goes there. Give me some time and I'll get back to you. If you could post some pictures, that would be great. Thank you for your patience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I have just started this project. So there is time. I did spend some time myself looking for a hose part number, but FYI when I slide the pipe into that opening on the tank the undercoating on the old filler pipe goes right up the edge of that hole opening on the tank so I am thinking if there was a hose connection the undercoating would not go to the tank, the hose would have covered the pipe at that point...

This may take awhile but I will return when I find out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I may be wrong on this but I think that is the rubber gromet that is at the top fof the fill pipe just below the gas cap that seperates the fill pipe from the body..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The first one was for a 59 this is the one for the 57 ,but I belive it goes at the top of the filler pipe at the gas cap to center the pipe at the gas looks to flat the be a tube to conect pipe to tank..

Is this the filler neck you have?

From what I can see, a short piece of large fuel hose connects the two from tank to bottom of filler hose. See the bare spot on filler bottom where hose went over it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do see what you are looking at. The real clean part of the pipe was in the tank and then a little ways up the pipe it looks like there was a hose , the fill tube that I have only has that real clean part and then undercoating. that is why I am not sure about the hose conection, it is strange to me that they sell the small vent hose and clamps for the vent, but no one seams to know the real deal on the filler pipe itself or have that hose part for sale. But I do belive I can make a hose and clamps work (plenty of space to do it) I was trying to make sure there was no other way or missing parts...

I think that same grommet is used both top & bottom (two grommets). Here's another catalog you'll have to scroll down to gas tank filler neck section.

1952-59 Car & Edsel - Dennis Carpenter

Using a short piece of large fuel hose with clamps to connect the two will work and may be a better seal.

Since the tank is behind rear seat in car, I would feel better using a hose & clamps so there is no gas smell in car with a full tank.
ASEMaster35yrs and other Classic Car Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your excellent feedback. Thank you for using just answer.

Related Classic Car Questions