Classic Car

Have Classic Car Questions? Ask an Expert.

Classic Car

Chevrolet El Camino: I have a 454 engine that runs 220 to 230

I have a 454 engine...
I have a 454 engine that runs 220 to 230 it has a nre radiator,water pump,electric fans(2),new 180 thermostat,new gauges it is belived to be a late 70's to early 80's engine...........what to do?
8/26/2013
jazzmaster
jazzmaster, Classic Car Mechanic

hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you .

first I need to ask a few queastions ..

1) how are you measuring the temp ?

2) how long does it take from first starting the motor until it reaches over 210 degrees ?

3) have you tried flushing the block ?

jazzmaster

The temperature is measured by the guage. It takes approxatmtely 3miles to reach 210. I have not flushed the block.

are the fans running all the time ?.

was the car running the temp the same with out the electric fans ?

do you have a clutch fan in the car now ?

yes the fans run all of the time.

yes it ran the same temp. before the electric fans

no clutch fan

if you have an infered lazor thermometer reader,on the intake measure the temp ,first at the front of the intake near the thermostat and at the back of the intake ,see if there is a difference .It couldnt hurt to flush the block .

can you see the coolant flowing good in the radiator ?

Yes

ok, did you check for temp difference between the front of the intake and at the back

no

can you get or do you have an inferred lazor temp gun ?

I have a friend that does but it will be a couple of days before he can check it

did this engine have a lot of miles on it or sit for awhile ?

was the coolant /water in the block rust colored ?

Don't know the answers to your questions but will try to find out

if it was sitting or there was rust in the motor ,it may be partially clogged in the rear of the motors water passages ,not enough to block the flow but to that point where it could be blocked .

you can try flushing out the block and see if that helps if not then you may have to remove the soft plugs in the rear of the block and clean it out that way .

there are some good cleaners out there -Gunk brand,.but you will need a heavy duty cleaner ,that will usually do the trick ,you may have to do it twice even .. but I would try that first .

you can also have a block test done to check for hydrocarbons in the coolant ,as for a possible cracks in a head or head gasket , a bad head gasket doent mean that it will smoke out the exhaust,or put oil in the coolant etc.

if that pans out then flush the system ...jazzmaster ..

jazzmaster
jazzmaster, Classic Car Mechanic
jazzmaster
jazzmaster
jazzmaster, Classic Car Mechanic