Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

63 chevy truck turnsignal on a 66 gmc 1/2 truck which wires…

63 chevy truck turnsignal on...
63 chevy truck turnsignal on a 66 gmc 1/2 truck which wires go where/ wire colors are different.
8/12/2012
Michelle-Mod

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

still working on problem. need help badly. right front and rear work, but left side not . key off and brake applied flasher goes on but left side not working. key on brake applied, flasher off. please send help.
what's taking so long to answer my question?

Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly

gmtech1967
gmtech1967, Car Enthusiast
Welcome to Just Answers,
Are you trying to put a 63 chevy turn signal switch in a 66 gmc truck? I can try to get the schematics for both but it will be tomorrow before i can get them,provided they have them for both models.
yes . the body of turnsignal switch is the same. wires are different.classic car and truck parts sells this part. unfortunutly they're gmc switch is not on their website, but it is in their paper catalog wich i didn't have until the part was delivered.
If you don't mind waiting until tomorrow I should be able to get the schematics for both trucks. if you are unable to wait I can opt out and maybe another expert may have an old service manual handy to give that info to you. for the most part left turn is yellow,right turn is normally dark green let me know what you would like to do
really need my truck right now. gmc harness is Lt bl lft frt dk blu rt frt dk grn rt re lft re y nue is brk p i flasher. cvy sitch i y dk blu Lt blu or wht p. switch dk blu to ha dk gr works for right side nothing else seems to work right
I will opt out but in the morning I will try to get the schematics for both and if you still need help tomorrow i will post what i can get.
thanks
ASEMaster35yrs
ASEMaster35yrs, Master Auto Tech

I'm trying to locate specific wiring diagrams for both vehicles but I can tell you this:

Lt blue is left front turn signal and dark blue is right front turn signal. White is stop light
switch. Yellow is left rear and dark green is right rear turn signal lamps.

See: http://content.chiltonsonline.com/content/images/8973/images/89736w04.pdf

I hope this helps. I'll let you know if and when I can find specific wiring diagrams for both vehicles.

Here is the wiring diagram for 1968 GMC.

graphic

graphic

thanks for the diagrams . the problem is the 63 switch. the colors are not the same as my gmc. switch colors are li blu dark blue orange white and yellow and violet. yellow to dk grn and dk blu to dk blu give me right frt and rear signals. white lite blu orange and violet give me a headach.

Wouldn't it be easier just to put the correct turn signal switch in that's made for your truck? You can get one here: http://www.racepages.com/products/?D=gmc+c15%2fc1500+pickup& ;sid=1391DECD36E9&Nty=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&rid=1391DECD36E9&Ntk=Main&N=11921+4294962558+4294967088+2790&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntt=gmc+c15%2fc1500+pickup

Here is the feed for the 1963 switch:

Upper row (3-terminals, left to right):
-light blue = to left front turn signal & dash indicator
-yellow = feed from the flasher on the fuse box
-dark blue = to right front turn signal & dash indicator

Middle row (2-terminals, left to right):
-pink = to left rear turn signal & brake light
-violet = to right rear turn signal & brake light

Bottom row (single terminal):
-natural (white) = feed from brake light switch

ASEMaster35yrs
ASEMaster35yrs, Master Auto Tech

Here's some good info from Painless wiring:

http://www.painlesswiring.com/Manuals/10112.pdf

Here's the 1966 GMC wiring diagram:

graphic

graphic

Here's the 63 Chevy truck wiring diagram:

graphic

The color of the wires were changed in 1965 to the National standard.

Please leave positive feedback so I will get paid. Let me know if you need more help.

Thank you for your excellent feedback & bonus. Thank you for using Pearl/ Just answer.