Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

What about carb. spacers? I run a single plane. Would a

spacer increase atomization without compromising...
What about carb. spacers? I run a single plane. Would a spacer increase atomization without compromising the fast delivery of a short run intake? Perhaps you could contrast short and long runner intakes, whether dual or single plane.
11/9/2011
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
DR. Hamman :

Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. At Just Answer the deposit you pay is not payment to the Expert, I only get paid if you click on accept, we receive no other pay. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed. If you are satisfied with the answer, and feel you can leave a positive feedback please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do.

The optimal runner length, shape, and size can vary drastically, with other engine types and components. Variables like cams, port design, engine displacement and more factor in. IR (individual runner) single plane, and dual plane induction setups have different characteristics. It is a pretty deep subject, with lots of theory, and theory is good, but the ultimate truth comes from running an engine on a dyno. I have seen engines that would pick up 40HP on a dyno pull with a spacer under the carb. I have also seen engines that would loose power with a spacer. The trend is single plane intakes normally respond better to spacers, but there are no absolutes here. The efficiency of different intake designs can also vary significantly at engine different speeds, on different engines. Any time design characteristics are planed, or calculated it is always an educated guess. The actual outcome can be unexpected, even though you follow a pattern that was thought to be predictable. Like I said ultimate truth comes from running an engine on a dyno. You can use the drag strip as opposed to a dyno, if you want a simple solution to determine if a spacer works for your engine. You should see the changes in the ET, and MPH on the dragstrip runs. Lots of fun, and less expense than a formal dyno run. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. Just Answer is here to serve you. If the answer is not clear, please let me know what additional help you need, and I will assist you further. When you're satisfied, click on the green accept button. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.

DR. Hamman :

I wanted to add: Long straight runners favor higher rpms, runners like a dual plane favor lower rpm's, and short runners from my experience are the most unpredictable, as far as trying them on an engine that wasn’t factory equipped with them. Some engines like the LT1 second generation small block Chevy used short runners with great success. They produced good power and fuel economy in stock form.

Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician