Classic Car

Have Classic Car Questions? Ask an Expert.

Classic Car

Volkswagen Bug I have a 1969 VW Bug and the turn signals will

Customer Question
I have a 1969 VW...
I have a 1969 VW Bug and the turn signals will not work when the outside temperature is cold. When it is warm they work flawlessly. Any suggestions for this? I assume something needs to be replaced. If so how do I go about this? Thanks
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Classic Car
5/27/2011
Classic Car Mechanic: Dr. Hamman, Technician replied 6 years ago
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician

DR. Hamman :

When it is cold, are they totally dead, or do the lights in the front, and back, and the dash come on and not blink.

Customer:

all the running lights work and when I activate the turn signal the interior indicator light lights up solid without blinking.

DR. Hamman :

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. At Just Answer the deposit you pay is not payment to the Expert, I only get paid if you click on accept, we receive no other pay. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed. If you are satisfied with the answer, and feel you can leave a positive feedback please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do.

Normally this will be a problem with the flasher unit. It is mechanical, and the temperature can be causing it to stick. There are other possibility too, so it is best to get a good wiring diagram, and check the flasher system out with a voltmeter. There was an error in the factory VW beetle wiring diagram in 1969 and the mistake shows the wrong wiring for the signal light circuit. This wrong wiring diagram has been circulated widely, and VW never corrected it. I will post a link HERE for a correct 1969 beetle wiring diagram, and a link HERE for a source for the flasher unit. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on the green accept button. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.

Customer:

Thank You. This should help solve the issue.

DR. Hamman :

Good luck and thanks for using Just Answer.

DR. Hamman :

I accidentally had the accept disabled because the inital reply to you was a question, and not an answer. I have now released it and you can accept the answer. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician