Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  Heavy Line Mech-, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years. R/S, etc.
1609972

1963 Ford Galaxie: the Temp Gauge..fuel gauge..sending unit

I have a 1963 Ford Galaxie. The Constant Voltage Regulator keeps blowing every time I hook up the wires to the Temp Gauge, although the fuel gauge works. The regulator was replaced as was the temp sending unit and also a NOS dash gauge. The voltmeter output is 6 volts which indicates the regulator is functioning properly.
I am wondering if the regulator needs a ground wire on top of it's base, as 66 Mustangs have this.
All I know is every time I try to hook up the temp gauge the thing shorts out. A grounding issue ?
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Don - Mo Lurch replied 7 years ago.

Constant Voltage Regulator should be mounted to back of Guages

Temp Guage should have
Black / Green wire to one side (constant regulator)
Red / White to other side (sender)

The Temp Guage has the same Black / Green wire that goes to the Gas Guage

The other side of the Constant Regulator has a Black / Green that goes to the Oil Pressure & Light Switch (power) & also Circuit Breaker.

DIAGRAMS

DIAGRAMS