Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

The brake lights, turn signal and parking/tail lights..wiring harness

Customer Question

I am rewiring a 1966 IHC scout. I can not get the brake lights, turn signal and parking/tail lights to work togrther. I installesd a new wiring harness, but still I can't get thr light to work correctly. The existing lights have two wires from them. What would I hook up the wires from the harness to make them work. The harness has a marke wire for the above. Please help and thanks.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 8 years ago.

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

The brake lights and turn signal wires all go through the signal light switch. This allows the signal light switch to interrupt one brake light with the brakes on to allow it to signal with the brakes on. So the wires from the bright element of the taillights goes to the signal light switch, and the brake light switch runs to the signal light switch too. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi, There are two wires coming off of each tail light. What wire goes to what? I have a brake light wire, a tail ligh wire, a parking light wire and a turn light wires all in my new wiring harness.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

The brake light and the signal light wire are the same thing, also the parking and tail light wire go to the same source together. For this all to work the brake light wire has to be hooked up the the signal light switch. You need to find an electrical schematic for this so you can see how this all hooks up, if you don't have the schematic it will be real hard to figure out. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.