Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

67 mustang: power steering pump..higher rpm..noisy..going bad…

Customer Question
I have a 67 mustang...
I have a 67 mustang 289. Recently the power steering pump started overflowing while driving, probably at higher rpm. I thought the pump was more noisy so i decided to replace it thinking it must be going bad. With the new pump in place and refilled, it is still overflowing. The car has 54K original miles on it and the rest of the steering mech looks OK to me, no leaks or power steering fluid coming out anywhere except the dipstick tube on top of the pump. Could it just be that i overfilled the resevoir?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Classic Car
6/29/2010
Classic Car Mechanic: Dr. Hamman, Technician replied 8 years ago
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

It could easily be that it is overfilled. The fluid expands a bit when hot, so check it hot. The only other thing, and it is rare is for air to be aspirated into the lines from super small pinholes on the return line. This makes unexplained bubbles, and increases the volume of fluid which can make it overflow. This is rare because most breaches in the hoses will just leak fluid. It is rare for this to happen, but it is something I have seen more than once. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.