Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

Car starts fine..warm..awhile and shut it off it will not crank…

I have a 72 JAvelin...
I have a 72 JAvelin AMX with the 727 Torqueflite. Car starts fine when cold or slightly warm. Once I drive it for awhile and shut it off it will not crank if it sets for any period of time. If I mess with the gear shift (console shift) sometimes I get lucky and it will turn over and start. Once the car cools down it turns over and starts fine. On another note the solenoid wont even click during that period, just the relay under the dash for the ignition. Is the the Neutrel Safety Switch or the solenoid...being a 72 the NSS hooks to the back of the solenoid.
6/28/2010
lnsmman58
lnsmman58, Classic Car Body Restorer

Hello I'm Scott,

This almost sounds like a starter solenoid is breaking down under heat, the windings in the solenoid expand and looses connection under heat and when it cools the windings contract and make contact again. Have you happened to check for power at the solenoid when the vehicle isn't starting?

Hi Scott,

Everytime it has happened I havent had the tools with to check but everytime i check it with a test light in the garage, the light comes on when I turn the ignition to on (not start). I am usually alone so I dont have anyone with me to turn the key over while I check the solenoid. I assume you mean the "s" side of the solenoid.

Yes, power to the start wire on the solenoid. Well it sounds like the starter circuit is working properly, it would be nice if you could next time it is acting up check to see if that power is still there when it won't crank. If infact it is still there then it points at the starter solenoid or the starter.
So your saying if I have power to the "s" terminal when it wont crank when hot that its either the solenoid or starter? What about the neutrel saftety switch? Running the shifter up and down sometimes helps or is it just coincendence?
Well if there is power there when it won't crank then your safety switch is probably ok, thats what we are trying to determine. Usually though a safety switch just goes out and doesn't act like this under heat. The safety switch is a possibility still too though. If you can get it to act up and then check for power it will tell alot here.

Edited by lnsmman58 on 6/28/2010 at 11:43 PM EST
I took it for a run and shut it off, left it sit for a few minutes then tried to restart...wouldnt do anything...hooked test light up to "s" terminal, car started. Shut the car back off, removed test light and nothing...hooked test light back up and started right up.
Hmmm, well that would almost suggests a connection problem. So just having the test light hooked up made it start?
yes, it appeared that way...I also noticed that tonight when i drove the ampmeter wasnt working as it should...usually with the radio on it would show a draw (High powered outfit)....if i hit the brake pedal and/or turned on the headlights, the radio would go off...let up off the brake and or turn off headlights and the radio came back on. Not sure if this is all tied together or not. Up until recently I have had no problems
Well now you say that I wonder if you aren't having a drop in voltage. That high powered stereo just may have finally taken your battery out. Can you get by a parts store and have them load test it? You may have just enough voltage drop that it is making your starter solenoid not engage properly, or lets say intermittently. Even a newer battery can go bad, especially when subject to a way wicked system. That might be your best place to start and definitely the easiest.
That makes sense !!! But when the car is running doesnt the alternator take over for the lights, stereo and other accesories or do you think the battery has a dead cell and isnt fully taking a charge when the car is running? I will try and get it to a parts store and have them check it in the next day or two. Do I need to click accept after your next response or keep it open until I have the battery checked, this is my first time using this site so I am not sure how all this works?

You defineitly might be experiencing a breakdown in your battery. Just get it checked when you can and then we can go from there. You can either hit accept now or later, either way we can still comunicate on this ok. Let me know what ya find out. Thanks for using JA.

Scott

lnsmman58
lnsmman58, Classic Car Body Restorer

Scott,

I had the battery checked out last night and it checked out ok...I also went thru and tightened all my ground connections which seems to have taken care of the radio cutting out when I turn on another accessory but didnt help with the starting when the car was hot. I went ahead and ordered another solenoid, so I am going to try that and see what happens. If that doesnt work, I'll be scratching my head some more...lol...as the ole saying goes...damned old ramblers anyways :)

Well the dang thing anyways! You will have to let me know if the new solenoid fixes it.
I will certainly do that and again thank you for all the help it is much appreciated. I like the aggravation so much that these ole ramblers bring that I had to go out and buy another one...lol
Well there ya go, good for you. They are lots of fun once you get them figured out. Feel free to stay in contact with me here ok. Thanks for allowing me to help, appreciate you also. You have a great day!

Scott,

Hello my friend, hope this finds you well.

I replaced the solenoid and it appeared to have fixed the problem for a short time. The first few times I drove it, she started fine when hot, all accessories worked fine, then bam, I hit the brakes, the radio kicked off, the ampmeter went to zero and then it did something it never done before, the car wouldnt shut off when I turned the key off.

I ended up pulling the S & I wires off the solenoid to get it to shut off. I then walked away from it for a few days. I began to check things out last night and low and behold when I put the test light on the "I" side of the solenoid it lit up with the key in the off position. Thats a new one for me. The kicker is once I hooked up the battery charger it went out and seemed to return to normal with the exception that the horns wont blow they only buzz. The car would turn over but I didnt try to start it. I'm thinking the ignition switch is shot.......any ideas....short of any advise I am lost at this point. I have never had this type of problem with this car.

Confused in Ohio,

Pat