Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

scooter..I turn the key off the engine does not quit, keeps running…

Customer Question
I have purchased a '59...
I have purchased a '59 Sears scooter which has undergone recent restoration and a Kubota/Linamar ZX280-e engine installed. The restoration was 90% complete. I have the unit running but when I turn the key off the engine does not quit, keeps running normally. I can't find wiring diagrams for this engine anywhere. Any Ideas? Thank you.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Classic Car
6/28/2010
Classic Car Mechanic: Dr. Hamman, Technician replied 8 years ago
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

You need to look for a small wire that comes off of the magneto. You are looking for a wire that is not used in the ignition system. Route this wire up to the kill switch. It needs to be wired up, where when the kill switch is activated this wire is grounded. This will shut down the engine. If this wire isn't present then attach a wire to the current wire on the ignition points on the engine. Take this newly attached wire and wire it up just like the previous wire discussed. Either method will effectively to shut the engine off with the kill switch. With an ohm meter you can test the kill switch to see what terminals supply the ground in the off position. This will allow you to wire it up correctly if there are more that two terminals on the kill switch. Also it will allow you to test the kill switch for function. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX clued me into the fact that the engine is magneto fired. I hadn't considered that possibility (engine keeps running with battery disconnected). There are two wires coming from behind the shroud one of which i suspect is meant to ground the spark. To remove the shroud requires complete disassembly of the scooter, a 10 hour job, if not more. Both wires are black, one has a loose white fabric covering. Any idea which would be a spark ground? Is there an industry standard? Failing all else, I guess I can cut the wires, ground them and see which one will kill the engine and connect it to a kill button as you suggest. Thank you.

Either one should interrupt the magnetos operation to allow you to kill the engine. BotXXXXX XXXXXne is either one will ground out the primary windings of the magneto and that is how you kill a magneto to turn the engine off. You can use a scotch lock to tap into either one if you can get to it sufficiently. It is Murphy's law that complete disassembly will be required to perform a simple task, It just happens. But when it is all said and done, you will know it is done well. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Scotch lock how to