Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

1947 dodge: can i find the stock specs for the compression and cam…

Customer Question
i have a 1947 dodge...
i have a 1947 dodge with a 1978 454 engine. where can i find the stock specs for the compression and cam?? looking to upgrade to bigger cam.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Classic Car
6/27/2010
Classic Car Mechanic: Dr. Hamman, Technician replied 8 years ago
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

The 78 454 really struggles from the smog detuning, as did all other V8's of that era. The compression was about 8.2 to 1, and the cam lift was about .330 at the valve. There is a good chance that it may have been modified through the years, so the stock specs might not apply. To find the exact information you need, you will have to get the numbers off of the block and look it up. I will include a link below for your reference.

Now if you want to make it run hard, all the stock info isn't important. I can tell you what you need to do. Your engine wont run hard until you get the compression up. You need at least 9.5 to 1, and 10.0 to 1 is a maximum. Also if you want a decent idle quality, and make power without lots of race cam bad points, you should use a cam with about 480 lift and about 280 degrees of advertised duration. A cam kit is the best way to go, because there are associated parts you need to make it all work. Also many people think bigger is better, and with cams this isn't the case. Do not exceed these specs, or you will get into trouble. Use a dual plane Edelbrock performer intake manifold, and a Holley 750 vacuum secondary, like a Holley 3310. Also you should use headers and a dual exhaust. The stock HEI distributor is a pretty good ignition system, and really wont need much, depending on which one you have. You can use up to an 850 carb, if you have a standard you can use a double pumper, but they are pretty aggressive.

Your biggest challenge will be getting the compression up, you will need to replace the heads or the pistons to do so. If you don't want to bother with the compression, use an RV cam, and the 3310 Holley, you can still use the Edelbrock performer intake, and headers are good to use too. It wont be as hot as the other setup, but it will run strong, and be a great motor. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Engine ID Link

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.