Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

1968 Chevelle Malibu: turn indicator switch..new switch..wheel hub…

How do I remove and...
How do I remove and replace the turn indicator switch 1968 Chevelle Malibu. I have a new switch and have the wheel of and removed the 3 screws holding the switch in the wheel hub.
6/26/2010
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Classic car expert

You will need to remove the wires from the plastic connector at the end of the harness then pull the wires out. Then install the new one (it helps to tape the wires together going in). It's tight in there, but is the only way to do it.

You can get a wire connector removal tool for cheap at most any parts store.

Being that there are different size connectors, i would advise buying a kit.

If you have further questions feel free to reply.

The connectors are already on the wire its a pre-wired switch.

Yup,,,you will still need to remove them from the new connector, and once you have the wires fed through the column, you reconnect them (they just snap in). Just make sure they go in the same places as they came out of. Thats why the wires are all running side by side, to help in the placement of them.

How do I get the old switch out? Is it being held in by the wire?

Remove the wires from the old connector and pull the old wires out along with the switch.

On the new switch/harness

Remove the wires from the connector one at a time until all are removed. Then put some tape around the tips of the wires so they don't get caught up when feeding them thru the column. Then reconnect them to the connector in the same position they came out. ....Thats the only way it can be done.

graphic

OK I understand that. What releases the old switch?

If you have the lever removed and the emergency flasher button removed and the three screws, and the connector removed,, it should come out.

Yes I have them all removed but I have not disconnected the wiring. Would that hold it in?

Sure will,,,its a real tight fit in there and once you have removed the wires it has to come out,,,,nothing else holds it in there...

Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Classic car expert
OK Thanks I'll give it a try

My pleasure.

Thank you for asking!

I didn't realize that I could respond after I accepted your answer I think I opened a new question. Regarding the same issue. Did you receive that?