Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

71 VW Bug: tow bar..ground..front-wheel turning locked or unlocked…

Customer Question
Should a '71 VW Bug...
Should a '71 VW Bug be towed (by tow bar - all wheels on ground) with front-wheel turning locked or unlocked?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Classic Car
6/25/2010
Classic Car Mechanic: Tims Auto Repair, Classic Car Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Tims Auto Repair
Tims Auto Repair, Classic Car Mechanic

hi

yes..it can be towed with all wheels on the ground..steering not locked...i would think you are using a tow bar

thanks

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Just to verify - front-wheel turning should be specifically unlocked? The front wheels won't flop left and right at random?
Classic Car Mechanic: Dr. Hamman, Technician replied 8 years ago
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

Hi I will assist you the expert that was helping is away right now. Yes that is correct you leave the front wheels unlocked to tow it. The front wheels will turn to follow the tow vehicle, when it turns, and straighten back out on their own. It sounds a little odd, but that is the way it works. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician