Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

1955 ford thunderbird 292 engine had the engine rebuilt and…

Customer Question
1955 ford thunderbird 292 engine...
1955 ford thunderbird 292 engine had the engine rebuilt and now i can not get engine to run there is 40 pound comfresion timing was set with the number 1 cyl at top and both valve closed pointer on t on damper fully the plugs wont get fuel and ther is fuel going through carb ther seams too be even a back pressure when useing starting fuild whats wrong with this engine? thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Classic Car
6/24/2010
Classic Car Mechanic: Dale Stockstill, Automotive Diagnostic Technician replied 8 years ago
Dale Stockstill
Dale Stockstill, Automotive Diagnostic Technician

My name is Dale.

The 292 was a great engine and workhorse. 40#'s of compression is not even close to enough compression for the engine to run. I appears to me that the valve timing is not sequenced properly to the crankshaft. I do not remember but I think this engine has a timing chain. Did you assemble the engine and set the camshaft vs. the crankshaft timing? There is one other thing that can cause this and it would be that the valve adjustments are extremely tight and will not allow the valves to seat and seal. either way, the compression has to come up.

It would help me if I had some idea of you technical knowledge, tools & equipment available and your expertise.on working on an internal combustion engine.

Let me know and i will try to help you get her going.

Sincerely,

Dale

Dale Stockstill

I did not hear back from you. Did you get the problem resolved or ??? I just want to help you if you want and need the help.

Sincerely,

Dale

Dale thanks for the answer i as yet have not gotten the chain case off i due hope i find the problem. i am fermilyer with the timeing setup and the engine was rebuilt by a professinal co. the timing on the 292 ford is very different than a standard ford motor i will bee doing this soon my health is not very good and iam 71 years old and a little slow i will bee paying soon after i open the chain case. thanks again Doug

No Problem Doug,

Thank You for your reply. I am about 7 years younger than you but was hurt pretty bad in an industrial accident at a power plant about 2 years ago. So I am a bit slower than I use to be but the brain still work fairly well :-) Let me know what you need as far as help with the engine and I will try to dig it out of the data base for you.

I will be going into the hospital Thursday for a possible stint in my heart. So I will not be readily available to help you until Saturday or Sunday depending on how things go.

Have a great day,

Sincerely,

Dale

Dqle thqnk you very much, i am paying you now here too your good health Doug

Thanks Doug,

Just got back. The "Lord " was looking over me and taking care of me all the way. He had told me not to worry so I did not and it worked out just wonderful.

Thanks for the accept on the answer but I am still here for you if you need some help.

Sincerely,

Dale

Edited by DaleStockstill on 7/2/2010 at 6:02 PM EST

Hello Doug,

While I was in the hospital another one of our very good experts sent me a private message with the following information that should help you some. We all try to work together to help all our customers.

Hope this helps.

I would check the valve adjustment first since it is easiest to do.

I know this engine like the back of my hand if you need any help. The valve adjustment is mechanical not hydraulic and it does have a chain. Initially set the valves at .019 cold. Here is the valve adjustment procedure and specs:

292 valve lash Adjustment

Set #1 at TDC on comp stroke then adjust
#1-Ex #1-In
#4-Ex #2-In
#5-Ex #7-In

Rotate crank 1/2 turn to bring #4 to TDC then adjust
#6-Ex #4-In
#8-Ex #5-In

Rotate crank 3/4 turn to bring #3 to TDC then adjust
#2-Ex #3-In
#3-Ex #6-In
#7-Ex #8-In

This is for the cold setting at .019

.019 is cold lash for initial break in
.016/.018 are hot lashes, and are done after a good warm up period.
If you just rebuilt the engine set it at .019 till after run in is complete.
I set mine at .016 by rotating the crank 1/2 turn 4 times and looking for play.

Point gap = .015
Dwell = 27
Timing = 6 deg BTDC
Valve adjust = .019 cold

Idle speed should be 500-550 in Neutral, automatic drive range: 475-525.

First get your valves adjusted. Get a flex socket, a .017 feeler gage, a .019 feeler gage. take the valve cover off. Start the engine, warm it a bit. make sure the .017 gage goes in the rocker gap. Make sure the .019 will not. Turn the adjusters with the engine running. This is in the 59 car manual. Don't catch you fingers in the mechanism, or burn your hand on the exhaust manifold. The feeler gage holder should be bent up at 30 deg to keep your hand away from the exhaust. Adjust the valves from left to right, then go to the other head. This is what the 59 car manual says to do, and has always worked fine for me. Actually you used to could buy a .017-.019 step type feeler gage, and do it with one tool.

Sincerely,

Dale