Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

1971 buick skylark: knocking..kit..rotor..all 8 cylinders, and all…

Customer Question
I have a 1971 buick...
I have a 1971 buick skylark, it has a 350 4 bbl in it. during hard acceleration it makes a wierd knocking/popping noise, i've tried everything i can think of to fix it and it still makes the noise. I've installed an advance curve kit, replaced all the spark plugs and spark plug wires, bought a new distributor cap and rotor for it, and performed a compression test on all 8 cylinders, and all of them seemed fine. what could be the problem?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Classic Car
6/19/2010
Classic Car Mechanic: Arench, Master Technician replied 8 years ago
Arench
Arench, Master Technician
Greetings From Arench!

The symptoms you describe sound similar to a condition of a worn out camshaft / lifters.

When an engine can not breathe the trapped combustion gas can make the engine exhibit strange noises under load.

In this condition, the compression test would not reveal problems because engine valves are opening, just not all the way.

To confirm this condition run the engine with valve covers removed and look for rocker arms that move only a little. Its usually the rear ones that wear out first.

If you confirm this condition then you will need to check for bent push rods and/or replace camshaft and lifters.

is it safe to drive the car with it making this noise? will it cause any damage?
You need to confirm the condition before you can know if this is really the condition you are experiencing. It is safe to drive the car with a worn cam but it will get worse and eventually turn into engine skipping. If this is truly what going on, this is a slow death of the engine from worn out parts and its already damaged.