Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

Ran great..it wont start..getting fuel

Customer Question
1976 tradesman. ran great now...
1976 tradesman. ran great now it won't start. doesn't seem to be getting fuel into engine. replaced pump and filters. is carburetor most likely? any help would be appreciated.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Classic Car
6/18/2010
Classic Car Mechanic: Virtual Wrench, Classic car expert replied 8 years ago
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Classic car expert

Will it run off the starting fluid?

it will turn over but not hold its idle at all

Thanks,

Ok,,,remove the fuel line at the carb and crank it over and see if it pumps alot of gas. Then let me know please.

tried that. no fuel going to carburetor. brand new fuel pump.

Thanks,

Thats what i thought....on the front of the cam gear is an eccentric cam lobe that actuates the fuel pump. What can happen is the eccentric becomes loose and just spins or the lining tab breaks and it just spins.

You have 2 choices. Remove the timing cover and replace the eccentric or install an inline electric fuel pump.

hmm... this van doesn't see a ton of use... we bought it for 200. what's the easiest fix to do ourselves? in-line fuel pump?

Yes, the inline pump will definitely be the easiest. You can find one at most any auto parts store.

If you have further questions feel free to reply.