Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

67 buick gs 400: wiring..radio,gas gauge,turn signals and wipers…

Customer Question
five years ago i rewired...
five years ago i rewired my 67 buick gs 400 with the painless wiring system.
i have had no problems since until now. i lost the use of my heater,radio,gas gauge,turn signals and wipers. i checked all fuses they were o.k. all the grounds were good.
do you have any suggestion for me.

thank you XXXXX XXXXX
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Classic Car
1/18/2010
Classic Car Mechanic: Mike S., Classic Car Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Mike S.
Mike S., Classic Car Mechanic

That is still a skylark correct?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_Skylark

Buick Skylark Gran Sport 400

Click here for the original wiring diagram. If it is not the same let me know and I'll try to locate the painless wiring diagram. Do you know which kit you bought?

i have the wiring diagram . i don,t know exactly which painless i used it must have been the correct one for my car. 1967 buick gs 400 (skylark )
could it be the printed circuit thats behind the dash? or does not effect all the problems that
i am having
Painless wiring doesn't replace the fuse box, do they? So the fuses should power the same circuits? Here is the wiring diagram, give me a few minutes to look over it and see what if any all those devices have in common.

The only thing I can see in common from the original wiring diagram is maybe the connector where 4 things are in common, the right directional indicator, gas gauge, gauge feed and left directional indicator. Maybe the connection is loose. Another thing, there seems to be 1 fuse by itself and then 2 next to it, that tie into these devices, although they are not marked. Since you checked the fuses, I would test with a 12 volt test light on each side of the firewall at those color wires, maybe the connection between the 2 halves of fuse box are loose or corroded. I couldn't find a radio nowhere, perhaps that was fed from something else.

I don't know how this would translate into the painless, from what I looked at at their website it listed harnesses as 12 circuit, 14 circuit, etc. Not vehicle specific from what I gathered.

Anyhow, I hope this at least gives you something to go on, you may just have to start at each device and trace each wire back to the source and hopefully find the problem, as far as the circuit board goes I am sure there is also a way to test that, too.

Here are the 2 wiring diagrams, I colored in most of what I could find that feed the devices.

The printed circuit is here. It does include the fuel gauge, turn signals.

graphic

graphic

The original click here.

Mike S.
Mike S., Classic Car Mechanic