Classic Car

Have Classic Car Questions? Ask an Expert.

Classic Car

1979 F100: 2wd..wheels..tire..what year are the f150 the same

i have a 2wd 1979...
i have a 2wd 1979 F100 and am wanting to get new wheels and the only refrence i can get from the tire place is an 80 f100..i know its a new body but is it the same 5x5.5 bolt pattern. and what would be the correct backspacing...i hear its less than 4" W/ zero rim offset. Are the calapers the same for clearance and to what year are the f150 the same as the 79 f100 as far as wheel and bolt pattern being sym....? Thanks Spc. Sellers 1-2 Cav Iraq.
5/16/2008
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Hey greetings in Iraq. I bet it is warming up there.

I wanted to bring up another consideration that is often overlooked when buying wheels. It is the hub that sticks out on your trunk. You have it on the front and back too. This hub is what centers the wheel and makes it run true going down the road. It also gives it lots of strength. The lug nuts simply hold the wheel on and are not made to take all the load, and center the wheel perfectly. You can use wheels that have a larger center hole, but that will not be strong, or run true. If you find some wheels that have a smaller center hole and you try to install the you will out of luck, they wont fit.

There is a lot more to the wheel thing than what meets the eye. Stick with the right ones for the year and they will run smoother, and not fly off when you least expect it. This is based on 35 years experience in the custom car field. I have seen dozens of bad problems from the wrong wheel that fits. Hey keep your head down over there and come home in one piece.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.
you did not answer any of my questions about the lugnut pattern, backspacing,or max tire diam. for that year vehic.,,, i understand the importance of centerbore for the wheel to sit correctly against the hub...whats that # XXXXX i can duplicate it with the new wheels....the wheels i have are hubcap and dented..i want to update my truck and had a mech.just added power brakes, fix all cancer spots and repaint with new interior... wheels are the last on my list and i want them in a newer style than 15x6.5 dented steel rims.
What I have come up with is 4" back spacing, and "0" offset. 1973 to 1979 are the same.

I came up with some caliper info. The 79 models used a 4 piston caliper, after 79 only the single piston caliper was used on the half ton. That is probably the main difference in the back spacing spec.

The stock tire size is 235 75 15, that has a 28.87 inch height. You can use 265 65 15 they are 28.56 diameter, that is within three tenths of an inch. The same size tire can vary that much from brand to brand, so I would call that right on stock height and wider.

I will follow up with the lug pattern info, I am still researching at this time.
The ford 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern ended in 1996, 1997 began a new metric size that was close but different. I have found conflicting info on the beginning of the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern, it was prior to 1973.

Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician