Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2001 chrysler town and country and need some quick…

I have a 2001...

I have a 2001 chrysler town and country and need some quick help as boy is going to college. Had an AC issue put the high low on and noticed AC wasn't cycling on at all. pulled p switch wiring and pins are all reading 6is volts--then car would no longer start--codes were all voltage too high!PO123, po118,p1598,p1193. Seems like relay or PCM voltage regulation problem in the system. Have 24 hours until my boy leaves and hoping this is an easy fix. I'm at work now so can't get to it until tonight.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do any lights still turn on? Have you had problems starting it before?

No problem just was an ac issue. and the ac was working but would sometime have trouble in auto and would vary a lot. Then ac would simply not blow cold anymore so just thought it was low....its a 2001. No this thing started and has been running like a dream

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the approximate mileage on your '24 Town and Country?

125k

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Chrysler Town and Country Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

2001

8/18/2022
Chrysler Mechanic: Kurt Mulling,
 replied 1 month ago
Kurt Mulling

Hello my name is ***** ***** I'll try to help you with the issue.

The website may prompt you for a call , but that is up to you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I sent a question in on a 2001 chrysler T&C
Chrysler Mechanic: Kurt Mulling,
 replied 1 month ago

It would seem like there is a ground issue, and I'll send some wire dia. to help find it , but it would help to know which engine you have, there are 3 different engines

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
great - 3.8L
Chrysler Mechanic: Kurt Mulling,
 replied 1 month ago

Ok hold on as I get that for you and I'll also try to find where it may have broken , or at least give you an idea

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you have all of my code and high voltage information?
Chrysler Mechanic: Kurt Mulling,
 replied 1 month ago

yes I do, do you want a call , as I am sending enfo?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
nope that is fine - in a conference call now!
Chrysler Mechanic: Kurt Mulling,
 replied 1 month ago

here is the complete dia.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok only question is the ground is not common to the ECT which is also a thrown code for high voltage--if i'm reading this right
Chrysler Mechanic: Kurt Mulling,
 replied 1 month ago

it is common to the S121 splice

And this is a supplied ground signal from the PCM

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK Kurt - last question if the reference voltage should read 5v why would I read 6v for a ground problem. I'll take a look at these splices just curious!
Chrysler Mechanic: Kurt Mulling,
 replied 1 month ago

ok so when there is a high voltage reading it is ussually caused from a ground issue as the voltage is trying to locate a ground it goes up.

Chrysler Mechanic: Kurt Mulling,
 replied 1 month ago

I was also re-reading your first question and noticed it would not start after you unplug the P switch? what is that?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok so went to pin 43 and it read 6v. yes I said that! grounded pin 43 and it starts now.I have a mechanic working on it right now.exactly what the hell happened? racking my brain too.
Chrysler Mechanic: Kurt Mulling,
 replied 1 month ago

When you were checking on things you may have pulled something loose

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
maybe but just getting to the high low ports which are not buried....by any means.how could I read 6v at the ground pin 43?any chance its the PCM?
Chrysler Mechanic: Kurt Mulling,
 replied 1 month ago

Yes it is possible it is the PCM

what did you mean here in your statement about pulled the P switch?

Chrysler Mechanic: Kurt Mulling,
 replied 1 month ago

did that refer to pressure transducer ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I meant the wiring on the p-switch. new reading on the 1.6v 4.9v and groundVolts On the pins after 43 was grounded. last night read 6-7 volts on those pins
Chrysler Mechanic: Kurt Mulling,
 replied 1 month ago

SO it must have pulled a ground wire loose some how and now it is re-connected?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
pin 43 has been jumpered to ground and that has fixed everything-codes are cleared. AC still not workingthinking its the pcm and there is some leak-by? voltage over to the grounding pin which is why the pin read 6v.??
Chrysler Mechanic: Kurt Mulling,
 replied 1 month ago

So the ac can be something else and not the pressure sensor have you checked the fuses ?

there can be voltage leaking by , or a loose ground connection

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the jumpered ground was pulled and it won't start again - so pin 43 reads 6.7v again with key on. Then pin 43 jumpered back to ground and motor starts again. has to be pin 43 PCM? and still need to work AC problem now.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can you send that as pdf?
Chrysler Mechanic: Kurt Mulling,
 replied 1 month ago

when you first tested the wires at the P switch , what did you use to test for power and ground , ? A test light , or a digital volt meter or a analog volt meter?

Chrysler Mechanic: Kurt Mulling,
 replied 1 month ago

here it is in pdf

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it was a snap on volt meter and we had the snapon scanner tool.
Chrysler Mechanic: Kurt Mulling,
 replied 1 month ago

ok just asking

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I get it! - backing up. I replaced the blow motor and the resistor. This got the system going and then the AC worked and then it quit blowing cool. I assumed it was just low refrigerant because it was intermittent. Last night was supposed to be a quick recharge and off to college!right now the clutch is being fired by the snap on scanner and works sometimes.....relay?
Chrysler Mechanic: Kurt Mulling,
 replied 1 month ago

possibly the relay or something else, let me look at possible causes for that

it can be the ac clutch relay or the PCM or the P switch which sends a signal to the PCM to tell it to turn on or not did you scan for ac codes ?

it could also be the Evap. temp sensor

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it has 0 codes and he can make the clutch come on with the scanner ... sometimes.
Chrysler Mechanic: Kurt Mulling,
 replied 1 month ago

Seems to me the common issue at this point is the PCM

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that has to be programmed etc if I can find one in 18 hours!correct?
Chrysler Mechanic: Kurt Mulling,
 replied 1 month ago

yes

Chrysler Mechanic: Kurt Mulling,
 replied 1 month ago

they can program it to you car

Kurt Mulling
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK Kurt-looks like only choice!
Chrysler Mechanic: Kurt Mulling,
 replied 1 month ago

Sorry I was away for a time, and it is bad for the timing of your son going off to school, I do hope that goes well

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Kurt last night we tried AC again - forced through scanner and there was a modulating on/off signal consistently from the PCM. Wired clutch to run and AC works great but of course no control from PCM for safe operation. Going to ground pin 10 and see if that fixes all problems-if not probably the PCM.
Chrysler Mechanic: Kurt Mulling,
 replied 1 month ago

Ok