Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I just got the Powertrain update for my 2015 Chrysler 200.

I just got the...

I just got the Powertrain update for my 2015 Chrysler 200. Less than 100 miles later, my check engine light came on. Is there any potential these issues are related?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the check engine light blinking or flashing, or is it solid? When did you first notice it?

The check engine light is solid. I got the software update done on Thursday, and the check engine light came on today. I’ve only driven it about twice since I got the update done

Mechanic's Assistant: How often is the Chrysler 200 typically serviced?

Oil changed every 6k miles, just had the 100k service check done about 5k miles ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Chrysler Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

I don’t think so. It sounds like it’s running fine and all of the fluid levels are good.

7/13/2021
Chrysler Mechanic: william readon,
 replied 1 year ago
william readon

hi and welcome to just answer!

it's not possible for the software update to cause a check engine light to come on, what happens though is the software resets all the monitors (tests the vehicle runs on a continuous basis) and updates some the update will encompass several updates in one (like your PC does when windows updates), so the computer needs to run more intensive tests and verify the monitored components are working properly.

you need to have the vehicle scanned for codes to determine what triggered the check engine light first, there are well over 1500 different reasons for the light to come on most common are evap leak codes caused by a loose fuel cap but any sensor out of range will cause the light to come on

william readon