Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2007 pt cruiser. Wanted fog lights. Car has wiring to fog…

Customer Question
2007 pt cruiser....

2007 pt cruiser. Wanted fog lights. Car has wiring to fog light location and I installed and hooked up the wiring. On the steering column, I replaced the signal stalk with a stalk that has the pull out end for the fog light. With lights on the fog lights will not work so I find what I think is the fuse socket for the fog lights and install a "box" fuse. I also bought a relay that must go somewhere. This is listed by Advance auto and is a plug in type. There is no place to install and it appears all the relays are on a single board. How do I get the fog lights to work. Is there a jumper wire to add or what.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Do you know what size fuse it needs?

I think the fuse for the fog lights is an empty socket. The fuse board under the hood shows a fog light socket (#12) and is 10 amps. My fuse is 20 because 10 is rare. Still paper work in owners manual shows no fuse number or other.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?

Puzzled because a typical plug in relay is specified by Advance auto so I figure that was left out. I have not done any trace of wiring to verify power. Since the vehicle was wired for the lights, I felt the wiring to the signal stalk cables have the wiring ready to accept the other stalk with fog light switch. I would like to avoid an added switch and make it work like the factory installed lights.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Next step was to really visit a Chrysler dealer but recently the dealer and service department do not want to work with PT Cruisers. It is an old product in there eyes. Step two is to get a Factory service Manual

Submitted: 11 days ago.Category: Chrysler
7/11/2018
Chrysler Mechanic: Chris (aka - Moose), Technician replied 11 days ago
Chris (aka - Moose)

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Do you need the wiring diagram to see how they are wired and work OEM?

Customer reply replied 11 days ago
OEM wiring would possibly help. I will get back on line later today to catch updates and maybe ask questions?

Sounds good, let's start with the diagram and go from there. https://www.dropbox.com/s/bgatmw6tos5njmy/ptfog.pdf?dl=0

You now will see a rating scale a row of yellow stars from bad to excellent, because I have posted my 1st full/partial answer. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Chrysler Mechanic: Chris (aka - Moose), Technician replied 6 days ago

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my INFO REQUEST / ANSWER in return for the fees you have already paid. I want those fees to benefit you and me. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent 5-star service you're pleased with, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star rating.

Thanks, Chris