Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My pacifica obd says no power to tcm. Consistant. Car wont…

Customer Question
Good morning, my pacifica...

Good morning, my pacifica obd says no power to tcm.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistant

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Pacifica?

Car wont start

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pacifica yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes just got the car and hasnt been started yet , just ran obd

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

What is the power source or where does it come from

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Chrysler
5/26/2018
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 28 days ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

I'm assuming that you're setting a fault code for lack of TCM communication. If it's an older vehicle with a standalone TCM then it could be the module itself or a wiring issue. If it's a newer vehicle with an NGC controller then odds are it will need a PCM.

What year is the car and what P code is setting?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
The fault is that i am not getting any power to TCM its a 2006

I need to know the P code number to proceed.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Im sorry but it was my friends OBD that was used. He said no power to TCM. I have checked all fuses and relays, the fuel pump comes on, the ignition actuator is not broken, no security light on dash, but i do have check engine light on. The car won't start. I am really at a loss. Thank you for your prompt attention. Marilyn

Does the PRNDL display show the trans is in park?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
it does. What powers the TCM?
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 27 days ago

You don't have a separate TCM if the car is a 2006, it's part of the PCM. If the PRNDL display works then the TCM is operational.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
that means the tcm is not preventing the car from starting. I found that I have no ground to the transmission, would this prevent the car from starting? When checking the ignition actuator I found a hole cut into the transponder box exposing the chip that programs the igiyion to transponder like someone jumped the chip to get the pin code. Question is, if I have a key not programmed would the car start and die, or have an idicator on the dash light? When I unlock the driver door (I have no fob) the alarm sounds I have to put the key on the ignition and turn it to shut it off. Is this my problem? There was a recall in 2004-2006 on the pcm having to be reprogrammed. Tuesday I will call and see if mine was done.

Do you mean that the ground cable on the left of the trans is rotted off?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
No the ground has been found and in good condition. I am asking about how that engine would act if I had a key not programmed, or if 1 of the 3 grounds could prevent the car from starting so I can move forward. I need some suggestions of tests I can preform or you will have to come over for dinner and we can work on it together.
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 26 days ago

If the key failed the engine would start and die three times and lock the starter out. Is this what happened?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
No it just turns over, thank you for your promptness

You'll need to test for fuel pressure and spark then.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Ok can you give me a location of a shrader valve and is multipoint spark test the same as throdle body

There isn't a port to connect to, a pressure gauge set with a T hose with it's own service port is used.

To check for spark you'd remove a coil, insert an adjustable spark tester set to 1/2" into it, and ground the alligator clip of the tester.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thank you I will get back to you. I feel comfortible ith you as my expert,

You're welcome.