Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

How do I get to the ECM to change it out on a 2007 Chrysler

Customer Question

How do I get to the ECM to change it out on a 2007 Chrysler Aspen? Do I only have to disconnect the battery, unscrew the old ECM, screw the new one on and replug in the connectors into the new programmed ECM? I can see it, I just can't get to it:(
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: The battery is fine.. I'm replacing the ECM
JA: Are you fixing your Aspen yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, everything. It has been diagnosed as the ECM
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am usually here Monday through Friday and occasionally on the weekends.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

The wiper arms and wiper cowling has to be removed to access it.Below in the link is the procedure on how to remove those.Disconnect the battery.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2gheogicsjz9hp4/cowl-04-17.pdf?dl=0

Once removed then you unplug the connectors and replace it.If it is already pre-programmed to your VIN and vehicle then you should be good to go.If it has not been pre-programmed to your VIN you need to have a dealer program it for you after it is installed.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** the PCM and the problem is still persisting. Hard starting, all warning lights on. No response when gas pedal is pushed. Engine revs, but moves only at idle speed.. When I took to the dealer last week when this first happened, they said it wasn’t the throttle control, (they replaced and it didn’t solve problem, so they reinstalled the my original TCM), so they said it must be the PCM.. Replaced that earlier today and Still having the exact same issues.. Ideas?
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Do you have any fault codes coming up with this issue here at all?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am waiting to get the machine to check codes but when I took to dealer last week, they said it threw like 10 codes and they narrowed it to the TCM or PCM.. Neither have worked now.. I won’t have dealer do any more work, as they tried to charge me 600$ for a not needed TCM and then said, ‘oops, that wasn’t it, it’s the computer and that will be another 1500.. trying to figure out myself now:(.. I will follow up, once I have those codes. Thank you
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Sounds good.If you can get me the code numbers this will help.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Pete, ok I have more information. It turned out the entire problem was the oil pressure sensor.. We fixed it and 2 weeks later the check engine light in again.. Its the code for Evap leak.. Have smoked it and there is NO LEAK even w more pressure putting the smoke thru.. My mechanic says the only other idea is the purge valve?? Any ideas??
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

If your gar cap was left loose at any time before the check engine light came back on it will cause this code to set. If this is the case I recommend having the codes cleared out and then operate the vehicle to see if the issue occurs again. If the code comes back it is usually the evap vent valve that intermittently doesn't seal and causes the leak needs to be replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed. Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you.. is the evap vent valve the same as the purge valv??
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

You're welcome

The purge valve is a separate valve then the vent valve. It is possible there may be a leak at the purge valve and if it was tested properly then all it may need is the purge valve. The most common is the vent valve but it definitely could be the purge. I would just ask to make sure it was tested to find that the purge valve is the cause.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry to keep w the questions, but I want to make sure I have all the info correct.. lol
Is there a different test between the two??
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

When it comes to a smoke test this is the best way to test for a leak.But if no leak came out the mechanic can use a scan tool to operate the purge valve and vent valve to see which one is operating and which is not.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ahhh... that’s great news because he said the purge valve was his last educated guess, so hopefully we can solve this.. I love this car, but just can’t seem to catch a break w the issues:(.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

I hope the mechanic can help you get this resolved with ease. But if you need anything else just let me know.

Thanks, Pete