Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2009 T & C just started to make a weird noise that I

Customer Question
My 2009 T B&...

My 2009 T B& C just started to make a weird noise that I thought was brakes sticking or grinding but it now happens while I'm driving, at a stop sign, driving in reverse or forward. It's a change sound no dash warning lights come on while it is doing the noise. No change in the driving ability. We have had to replace the brakes a couple of time in the past 6 years, not sure why they keep going bad. Any suggestions what it could be?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

No but now that you mention it I have noticed that t=one of the lights around the heat/air area does have a light burnt out. Would that make my van make the grinding/howling noise?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '09 Chrysler?

Town & Country touring

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Country yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing, I don't repair it myself my husbands friend is a mechanic so he works on the van. But I don't know where to have him even look.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No nothing I can think of

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chrysler
4/3/2018
Chrysler Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 3 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

The light that is out on the dash won't cause this noise to occur here.

Does it make this noise in park or neutral at a stand still at idle or when revving up the engine or does the vehicle have to be moving before it will make this noise?

Let me know, thanks, Pete.

It makes the noise when driving but not all the time. It does it going forward or backward. I thought it was the brakes grinding but after I got rid of the rust (after being parked in damp weather), by holding my foot on the brake and gas at the same time. Then it sometimes happens when I'm driving on the freeway, or stopped at a stop light.
We did replace the wheel bub assembly last year along with new tires and brakes. We get oil changes every 1500 miles and don't drive very much anymore since we are disabled.
The TPM light has been coming on too Pete. Sometimes it flashes but normally stays solid on.
Why is my credit card being charged 25.00?

O.k., the wheel bearings in the front need checked to see if any have any play or wear to them as this will cause this issue here.

If these are o.k. the brake rotor dust shields on the front brakes need to be checked to see if any rocks are stuck in them as this will cause this noise as well.

Then if these are o.k. the brake rotors need to be checked to see if there is any damage/grooves in them due to a rock being stuck as the rotors would then need resurfaced or replaced.The brake pads should be checked again as well to see if they are worn needing to be replaced.If they are found to be worn again then you need to have the brake calipers checked and the brake master cylinder to see if either are at fault causing the brakes to stay engaged partially causing the noise you hear as well as premature brake pad wear.

All of these need to be checked into to then help to locate and repair this issue here.

As for the TPM light ( tire pressure ), this can be due to a low tire needing filled properly or an issue with a faulty tire pressure sensor needing replaced.You would have to have this checked into further to then locate which component needs to be repaired or replaced.

As for the fees, unfortunately, I am not in charge or have any control over those.You would have to speak with customer care on the fee issue.If you would like the link to speak with them on this let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete