Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I had my drivers side door painted due to an accident. The…

Customer Question
I had my drivers...

I had my drivers side door painted due to an accident. The top doesn't come down (this is not the issue). The issue is my truck no longer opens, and I believe the company that painted the door possibly tried to let down the top. But, they claim that they did not. Would they need to let down the top to paint?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

2005 crossfire

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Crossfire yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tried pulling up as I open it. I tried pressing the convertible top open button... yes, otherwise... it will cost me dearly to go somewhere. but, I need to know would the paint company need to let down the top. I really want them to be held accountable. It worked fine when I took it over there.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that is all

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Chrysler
4/2/2018
Chrysler Mechanic: garrtim, service manager replied 20 days ago
garrtim
garrtim, service manager

Hello, they usually would not be required to lower the top in order to paint a door

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
what about opening the trunk? Would they need to do that? I know the trunk opened before I took them there. because I had to get stuff out of it.
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
is there away for me to get my trunk open?

the remote keyless entry button for the trunk is inop?

Discussion:

Chrysler Crossfires use a central locking pump located in the trunk to pneumatically unlock and lock

the front doors, fuel door and rear hatch. The central locking pump applies 6-10psi of regulated

pressure to the latch assemblies to unlock the vehicle. If the pneumatic dash pod at the rear latch

assembly separates from the retaining bracket, the rear latch will not unlock. Secure the pneumatic

line dash pod to the bracket, through the license plate lamp-retaining pocket if needed.

If the line appears secure at the supporting bracket, gain access to any pneumatic line at the hatch,

doors, or fuel door and apply approximately 6-10 psi of regulated pressure to unlock

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
what remote keyless entry for the trunk? my key fob only has (1) lock, (2) unlock, and (3) red panic button

ok -- some came with a feature on key as well

here is the only way to open trunk manually---

Remove the rear liftgate trim panel. To do this the tech will have to crawl over the rear bulk head. There is one T-20 TORX screw that is located in the grab pocket on panel behind a plastic plug. Once this screw is removed, the trim panel is held on by retainer clips. Once the panel is removed, the tech can unbolt the latch assy from the liftgate and open the hatch. Usually the hatch will not open because the solenoid has pulled out of the bracket and is not pulling pin to disengage latch. Re-installing solenoid in the bracket will resolve this concern

It is highly probable that the trunk issue is what is causing the top not to work -- if computer sees issue with trunk latch then top feature is "locked out"

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
well... I guess... I am just hosed.... the problem is that parts are very hard to be found for this car. This will cost me a great deal. Would the painter need to have opened to trunk? I need to place this issue back on them. They know they probably broke it... They bent a metal item when removing the door. They thought that they could order it.. but no one has it and they were told that it is not made anymore. so, they had to put heat to it to try and straighten it back out.
Well, you can see the bents in the metal. this is why I know they will not own up to the trunk lock.
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I guess... I might as well sell this car to the junk yard. It is a shame. Because it looks great.... but what you don't see cost a lot to repair..
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
No... the top problem is the hydraulic fluid on the right side. It leaked out 2-years ago. Chrysler wants to charge me $5,000 to repair it. Heck, I only spent $6,000 on the car 4 years ago. The trunk has always worked fine. Until this weekend.
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Will they need to have opened the truck during the time they were repairing and painting the door?

its possible they opened trunk if you can get it open to inspect the latchand when closing jammed latch-- you will need to go through the procedure I posted to see i

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics