Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible that's turbo…

Customer Question
I have a 2006 Chrysler...
I have a 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible that's turbo charged. Last week I started hearing a whistling or whining sound when I accelerate. It doesn't happen in reverse.Is it possible that I have an issue that can be repaired without replacing the entire turbo charger? I've never had this kind of problem in the past. Could something have come loose between the turbo and the manifold or exhaust system. I have a limited aamount of money to pay a lot for a repair. I have had serious medical issues for the past 4 years, so cost is an issue, Thank you, ***** ***** Gillis,***** Apt.230, Key West, FL 33040(###) ###-####**@******.***. I would appreciate any help or advise you can give me.
Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Chrysler
4/1/2018
Chrysler Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 19 days ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Your choices are to either have yours sent out to be rebuilt or install another turbocharger. There are not any simple repairs for them when they start whining and whistling.

Cost wise, it is cheaper to just install a remanufactured unit, which you can get for $358, and then have a mechanic to install it.

Here is one source.

https://www.stockwiseauto.com/a1-cardone-2t-315-turbocharger?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItoXtzq2Z2gIVjrbACh2ctANOEAQYBSABEgIzFfD_BwE&fit_id=11799&Year=2006&Make=Chrysler&Model=PT%20Cruiser&gsID=pxf374121f11799&

I have installed these Reman units from A1 Cardone before and never had one fail prematurely

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you
Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

If you have any other questions on this, feel free to ask for more help by clicking the REPLY TO EXPERT button, otherwise please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.

Chrysler Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 18 days ago

Unless you have a further question on this issue, please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager