Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Cooling fan inop. 2006 PT Cruiser - Non turbo. 50 amp fuse…

Customer Question
Cooling fan inop. 2006...

Cooling fan inop. 2006 PT Cruiser - Non turbo

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?

50 amp fuse in panel is good and has power on both sides when needed. jumping 12v+ on both fan relays causes fan to work

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

Starts and runs fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Fan does not come on with A/C on. A/C system is charged

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Chrysler
3/29/2018
Chrysler Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 26 days ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Is the check engine light on?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Hi Dan .. Yepper ck engine lite is on

Do you know what codes you are getting?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Don't know codes - Have to go get a code reader for that. I can do that, just haven't yet.Things I've checked --50A fuse is good and has power on both sides
Fan relays check ok visually, but I know that's not a definitive check.
Batt voltage is present on large red wires feeding both fan relays
Jumper wire across either fan relay connector triggers fan to work -- This verifies to me that the fan motor is actually good...now it's a matter of why it's not triggering...or may be triggering intermittently
A/C system is charged enough to engage compressor, but does not trigger fan.
Temp sending unit on side of t-stat housing is barely visible, let alone reachable, so no way for me to check if it is good/bad.NOTE -- I am a former ASE Master Tech (retired from automotive in 2000) so feel free to go straight to it.

Y​ou can turn key on-off-on-off--on within 5 seconds and codes should show up on odometer. As of now it sounds like problem is front control module or wiring.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Copy -- I'll go pull codes that way.I also suspect fan control module. Is there a test that I can do without scan tool --- ??

There is no way to test without the scan tool but let me know what codes you are getting and we will go from there. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Ok.. Back in a few...

Sounds good.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Codes -- in order that they came out
128
481
480
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
P0128 Coolant Thermostat
P0480 Cooling Fan Relay 1 Control Circuit
P0481 Cooling Fan Relay 2 Control Circuit

P0128 usually means thermostat, P0481 usually means wiring or cooling fan, P0480 also means wiring or cooling fan. Since you have manually powered on cooling fan to verify it works on both low/high speeds then next step is to test wiring. Unplug the totally integrated power module and put ground to dark green/light green wire which should activate low speed then do same thing with dark blue/orange wire which should make it run at high speed. If jumping wire at totally integrated power module doesn't turn on fans but it does directly at fan then you need to follow wires to find damage. Here is a wiring diagram to help with testing. My goal is to provide 5 star service so please let me know if you have questions, thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gjv0ki4fd5ybq1v/fans.pdf?dl=0

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Ok -ugh. No surprise tho, given how they used to do it when I was still under the hoods.
Anyway...- That'll be a tomorrow during daylight project. --
So ..... If performing this jump test makes the fan work...does that mean a new TIPM ??

That is correct but I'm pretty sure you will end up having wiring problems. If TIPM was problem then you probably wouldn't be setting related codes. Let me know if you end up needing anything, you can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees. Thanks again and have a good evening.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thanks Dan -- I'll let you know what I find ..
Cheers !

S​ounds good, I'll talk to you then.

Dan, Technician