Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2005 Chrysler 300 Battery Draw/Drain Bought it 4yrs ago,

Customer Question
2005 Chrysler 300 Battery...

2005 Chrysler 300 Battery Draw/Drain Bought it 4yrs ago, previous owner installed stereo system, kill switch for amp and headrest DVD screens. He Uninstalled customizations and went back to factory but I recently Found a USB cord(custom) in the glove compartment that can be used for charging devices . In not sure if that is causing problems, About 4mths after purchase the battery started draining from a draw. This is a list of things that I Troubleshooted. • Replaced battery 3-4 times • Drains battery within 8hrs of car being off. • Tested alternator last year at O'Reilly auto parts it was GOOD. • Checked fuses and replaced a few, took a fuse out that kept the interior door lights on, that fuse also controlled power to inside lights and signal light blinker(at tachometer). Took out interior lights • Attempted to check relays, not sure if I did it correctly, they were Good. • Cleaned corrosion on rear (trunk) fuse panel box • installed a radio last February installed new battery and checked for drain thought it was the trunk switch causing the draw. • Trunk latch wouldn't open by pressing the button, I changed the trunk solenoid switch, still doesn't work and is still draining. I'm thinking and hoping that it is the BCM, or steering column module but I'm no mechanic.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?

I don't have a manual but I took it to a couple of mechanics that couldn't find the draw

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 300 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chrysler
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/28/2018
Chrysler Mechanic: Shawn Few ,
 replied 3 months ago
Shawn Few

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue

In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

I am here Sunday through Friday from around 5 am to 9 pm Eastern time.Zone If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

If you see a call request on your screen ,That is an automated feature the web site offers all customers.

The BCM is the most common to cause this draining and in some cases the steering modules now to know 100% for sure

You will need a Capable Factory scanner or equivalent to Read the Fault codes in the Modules needed here ,that is done by hooking up the scanner to your vehicle DLC data port connector and based on these faults we can pull up a Pin Point Troubleshoot and be Accurate ,If you do get the Faults Read ,Please post them back here for me and I can Help You Further on it and send you the pin point troubleshoot to perform or the most possible causes for it .

With that said ,if the scanner not available run below test

https://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Parasitic-Battery-Drain

click also on the link to view the location and wiring diagram for it ,also unplug it check pins, spray crc electrical contact cleaner , if all looks good, have it scanned instead guessing and end up throwing parts at it ,

If more help is needed, Please use the reply Tab to continue our conversation.

, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click here or above).

You can Rate at Any Time and we Can Continue to work on your question as This Will Not Close out your Question.

I work on delivering the best answer and help but in some cases,

It can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Hey Shawn, I appreciate the info, so are you suggesting to take it to a dealership and have them scan, or do you think local mechanic shops will have a capable scanner, one other thing I forgot to ask was my signal doesn't reset automatically, about 8mths ago I was putting on my signal to turn and and I heard and felt the signal lever click as if something broke or got caught up, I'd there anyway to replace it so it will go back o in normal position automatically after I make a turn or Lane change?
Chrysler Mechanic: Shawn Few ,
 replied 3 months ago

YES SIRE

1- THE SCAN AT DEALER BEST, ***** ***** ,DEPENDS IF HE HAS A GOOD CAPABLE SCANNER, THEY ARE AROUND $2500 AND UP ,SO IF U NOT SURE HE CAN TAKE TO DEALER SO U R NOT THOWING PARTS AT IT

2-THE SWITCH IS AVABLE ON EBAY OR DEALER AND ARE EASY TO REPLACE ,LIKE 1 HR LABOR