Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser. My son drove it from San Antonio…

Hello, I have...

Hello, I have a 2001 PT Cruiser. My son drove it from San Antonio to Dallas with no problem. On the way back it started overheating and he took it to a shop. They got him for 800.00 replacing the timing belt and water pump. They let it idle for 45 minutes and it did not over heat. He started driving it again on the highway and it overheated. What could it be? I am leaning toward the thermostat what are your ideas??? Plz help!! Frustrated MOM

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?

Yes this is the second belt and they replaced it at the mechanic shop Saturday. It has 150000

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?

IT was at the shop they did a compression test on the radiator its not leaking. They said it was leaking from the water pump and timing belt. We had the car towed home so we can now try to fix it since we are out the $800.00

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It is ok in idle but overheats in drive on the highway

3/27/2018
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue
In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sunday through Friday from around 5 am to 9 pm Eastern time.Zone If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.
If you see a call request on your screen ,That is an automated feature the web site offers all customers.

You could have blown head gasket, ask your son ,when it over heated on him on highway, the TEMP gauge went in the red zone on dash AND HOW LONG HE DROVE ON IT HOT ?

ARE YOU ADDING COOLANT TO THE CAR AND NO LEAKS ARE FOUND ?

I M SURE THEY CHANGED THE THERMOSTAT WHEN WATER PUMP WAS DONE ,LIKE TO THINK THAT ,U ALWAYS DO THAT WHEN REPLACING PUMP ?

LET ME KNOW AND I WILL TELL YOU ?

He shut it down immediately. After the work I as done mechanic let it idle 45 minutes with no overheating. They did that twice I was not charged for thermostat. They did a compression test and said it was the water pump. But we have the same issue

when you drive down the road now, does the temp gauge steadily rise until hits red and we start having pressure build up in the coolant reservoir, coolant hoses hard as a rock ?

do you have good heat at idle ?

are the fans coming on when the temp hit 1/2 way ?

compression test is not how u check water pump , that tells me they are not knowledgeable and they are guessing at it and throwing parts

I will have to try that when I get home. He said ten minutes of driving at 70 mph and the gauge steadily went up
Good heat at idle

good heat at idle mean , water pump, radiator ,good heater core .

that leaves fan , if they are working , then it will be what we call a beginning of head gasket , that is when air from engine gets in coolant system ,because the head gasket between head and block is warped or cracked and leaking, you can not stop the air build up , the more engine runs the more pressure until something bust , in some cases taking thermostat out can make it not over heat as fast and run better but will loose heat since thermostat not installed ,do replace thermostat if in doubt not working, still the same ,it is head gasket issue and that requires removing heads off and machine shop and new gaskets

If more help is needed, Please use the reply Tab to continue our conversation.

, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click here or above).

You can Rate at Any Time and we Can Continue to work on your question as This Will Not Close out your Question.

I work on delivering the best answer and help but in some cases,

It can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Chad Farhat
I will try this. Thank you for the help

you are welcome , if you need anything esle just reply back here

Thank you for the Rating :)

If you need my assistance in the future, Start your Question with (FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY) or Go to my profile page

You can also add me as Favorite expert for any future questions

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-chadfarhat/?rpt=3800