Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Car runs fine, but after cranking the car several times it…

Car runs fine, but after...
Car runs fine, but after cranking the car several times it won't crank. I take the battery cables off and let it sit awhile, hook battery back up and it cranks. Battery was replaced 6 months ago. General diagnostic shows camshaft sensor bad, but that has been replaced 3 times in 2yrs. Mechanic says it is not the sensor but may be the PCM. I really don't trust his maybe. Could it be a reset problem?
3/26/2018
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Instructor

Hi there - can you give me the model, the year, and the engine size?

How many miles?

2003 Chrysler 300M. 78000 miles I think it's a 3.2 or 3.6 not sure

It would be a 3.5, and there are 4 different engine choices. But this is ok - we can move forward.

I'll wait for your response. Thank You

To verify, you will crank the engine, and it won't start, and then you crank it a couple more times, and then it won't crank?

No it will crank after unhooking the battery and then hooking it back up. After crankinking it again it cranks fine a few more times, then have to repeat same steps with battery.

There is some information available on this issue. A bulletin to start. So I have no way of knowing if this applies to your car's engine controller - that would be for your mechanic to determine.

TSB: 18-032-02: Flash: Erroneous MIL Illumination - Erroneous Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) Oct. 21, 2002
2003 (LH) 300M/Concorde/Intrepid
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with revised software.
The Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) may illuminate due to erroneous detection DTCs.
THIS INFORMATION APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A NEXT GENERATION CONTROLLER (NGC) POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) BUILT PRIOR TO OCTOBER 15, 2002
(MDH1015XX).

IMPORTANT: Many Techs are reporting troubles with some aftermarket camshaft and crankshaft position sensors.

So, another consideration if the sensor is not from Chrysler. I have encountered this one personally.

Now, if I was faced with this issue, I would do this -

When it doesn't start, I need to know what is missing - spark, fuel pressure, injector pulse.

I would use my scan tool to look for an RPM signal, as there have been reported cases of intermittent operation form the crankshaft position sensors. No rpm signal = no fuel, no spark, no injector pulse.

I would also want to know about the timing belt condition and tension - a loose or worn belt can set camshaft sensor position codes

I will have these things checked. Thank You

To summarize - OEM or aftermarket camshaft position sensor? Chrysler is recommended.

Is the software up to date in the computer?

What is missing when it won't start? Spark, fuel pressure, or injector pulse, or all 3?

-verify RPM signal when it doesn't start, consider crankshaft sensor and wiring

Regarding the no crank, I don't have a great answer to that, other than it could be a security issue after trying to start it with no luck a couple of times.

You are welcome. Cars... we love them, we strongly dislike them when they don't work properly... Regards, Canuck

Please close up the question, and rate my answer. Regards, Canuck

Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Instructor

Thank you! Canuck