Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

02 chysler town an country cuts of while driving. 2002. Fuel…

Customer Question
02 chysler town an...

02 chysler town an country cuts of while driving

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Country?

2002

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Country yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes fuel pressure test fikter replaced fuel relay code ck

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the vehicle? And when was it last serviced?

120,000 every 3000 miles

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Chrysler
3/25/2018
Chrysler Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 2 months ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hello, my name is ***** ***** to Just Answer! I will be assisting you with your questions today. Give me one moment while I review this.

Okay, if the fuel system is all good,then check for spark at the plugs when this happens. Most parts stores have this tool.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

20 yrs as ford trans tech have most tools for ford not much for chrysler. the car runs fine then it will cut off like u turn the switch off will crsnk back up an run fine might run 5mins or 30 mins cuts of again.never avts like it running out of gas or skips before it shuts down code 1388

Yep, I get it, but we need to start somewhere, and my suggestions need to be addressed first before we move on.

Scan data as you already know would e very helpful at this point too.

Let me know your testing results.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me now and keep this link.

only data i can check is for codes an fuel presure code 1388 fuel at 64 untill it cuts of then bleeds off slow

We need to do the tests as I said with a scan tool, spark at the plugs with a spark tester etc. There's no other way to know what's wrong without testing a few things.

I’ve been in the auto repair industry since 1975 and have made many improvements over
the years pertaining to proper repairs. I also share this knowledge in the classrooms I
instruct in around the country, teaching for large companies who offer high-end training
to repair shop technicians.
It all starts with listening to the customer’s complaint, confirming it and finally doing all
the needed tests to locate the problem. All these tests require thousands of dollars worth
of specialized equipment that were designed and produced for the professional
technician. So when I recommend something for you to do, though it may seem silly to
you, please trust that I’ve “been there and done that” before. Getting a baseline is critical.
Once this is done, then I confirm what I have found wrong instead of throwing parts at it,
to be sure the problem I see is NOT camouflaged by something else.
Just like when you go to the doctor’s office for a visit, they take all your vital signs such
as; blood pressure, body temperature, weight, pulse etc.
This is my approach as well, except with the cars vital signs instead. I do everything
possible to NOT leave any stones unturned because it can cause you to misdiagnose the
problem or chase your tail.
I see so many people replace everything between the bumpers to no avail and spend
money they could have saved, if they only paid for a good diagnosis.
Sad to say, I even see people offering help to someone else by just telling them what the
parts are they should replace. Ouch!! These cars are all high tech, no room for guesswork.
When the check engine light or any lights illuminate in the instrument cluster, something
is obviously wrong, and there is not a code reader on the planet that will tell you what’s
wrong, they will only give you a code that is related to the part/circuit in question. These
parts stores check codes for free, for what reason? Hmm!

Thanks again, and please remember my 5 star rating.

your telling me if i dont have a scan tool go to s shop that does

Some parts stores loan out tools like this, but yes, the car needs to be diagnosed. I don't build these things sir, I just diagnose and fix them, so please don't let this issue affect my 5 star rating. I have been nothing less than honest and truthful with you.

Chrysler Mechanic: Chris, Technician replied 2 months ago
Chris
Chris, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Tell me, after it cuts out, will the engine restart immediately or do you have to wait and let it sit for a while before it will restart?

Chris

it will recrank an run.but after it cuts of several times an try to restart in just turn over thats when u csn hear a relay kicking in an out dont do that long enough to find which one
it does have a code 1388 sn speedo says done

Okay, P1388 is a code tat sets when the PCM (engine computer) detects a problem with the Auto Shutdown relay (ASD). This is most likely aq problem with the relay itself, or the PCM. What I recommend doing is to open up the fuse/relay box under the hood and locate the ASD relay (look on the inside of the fuse box lid) Then swap that ASD relay with another one like the horn or AC relay. Then drive the van and see if it still acts up. If it does, then suspect a failing PCM and have it replaced. I have seen relays get hot and fail, but have also seen the PCM act up when it gets hot.

I hope this helps!

Chris