Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

May battery keeps draining in my town & country and I just…

Hi may battery keeps...

Hi may battery keeps draining in my town & country and I just had the alternator checked today and it's fine. Is there another reason for this?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

I just put a new one in 2 weeks ago

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Country?

2007

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Country yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just put got it out of the shop today

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It does look like one of the cords on the battery is not set up right.

3/24/2018
Chris
Chris, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

The problem is your Town & Country has what we call an "ignition off draw" or parasetic draw". In other words, something is draining the battery when the key is off. Something (module, computer, etc.) is not powering down and then drawing power from the battery.

What needs to be done is to have a shop or dealer you trust connect an ammeter and measure the ignition off draw with everything turned off. The allowable current draw is about 30 to 40 milliamps. Anything higher than that will eventually drain the battery.

So ask your mechanic to use his ammeter to check for excessive ignition off draw. If it is above 40 milliamps, then he can start pulling fuses one at a time to isolate which circuit is causing the draw and battery to drain. Then that component being powered by the fuse can be checked and replaced if necessary to stop the drain.

If you have an ammeter and understand how to use it, then you can do this test yourself.

I hope this information/answer is helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra, and does not close this session. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!
You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!

Chris

Chris
Chris, Technician
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thank you Chris. My step father thought it might be similar to the situation you described. Since the mechanic over looked this scenario I'll have them check it out. Is this something that can be seen in a diagnostic check?

You are very welcome! Thank you for accepting my answer. The mechanic should know how to do that, but let me see if I can find a written procedure that you can show him.

Chris

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thank you.

My pleasure! Click on that link below. It will open up the procedure in a PDF format. You can then print it out if you wish and show it to the mechanic.

Chris

Chris
Chris
Chris, Technician