Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have 2008 Sebring Convertible. The hydraulic pump has

Customer Question
I have 2008 Sebring...

I have 2008 Sebring Convertible. The hydraulic pump has died. Dealership told me $2200 to fix it. I googled for a local mechanic but can't find one. Any advice?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fluids recently?

Dealership said they did. I, myself, have not.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I'm not fixing it. Dealership tried to replace the switch first. Then told me it was the pump

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

There are glitches with other electronics. such as windows dont always work. but i was told the two issues are completely different.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chrysler
3/23/2018
Chrysler Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

What is your zip code?

Hi Dan, what do you think?

The pump is a expensive part so that is probably why dealership is charging so much. What is your zip code?

33707 I saw parts as low as $150

The pump itself is a 1 hour job to replace. I see a used one that comes with the lifts on ebay for around $200. I would recommend buying parts yourself otherwise you will end up paying more if a shop has to buy them. It looks like there are quite a few shops in your area, here is also a list of places you can call. My goal is to provide 5 star service so please let me know if you have any questions, thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/arfcpmiq1kgqsmh/shops.pdf?dl=0

-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/08-10-Chrysler-Sebring-Convertible-Top-Hydraulic-Lift-Pump-Motor-W-Lines-Rams/132483688488?fits=Year%3A2008%7CModel%3ASebring&hash=item1ed8a4a828:g:FMIAAOSwnMBaa292&vxp=mtr

right, that's about what I saw. Thanks for the links :)

No problem, I'm happy to help. Let me know if you end up needing anything, you can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees. Thanks again and have a great day.

What should I expect for labor costs?

Around 2 hours labor tops, most shops charge about $100 a hour so around $200. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

wow...ya, so that's why I didn't agree to $2200. Thank you! I will check the links you sent

I don't have dealer price for OEM pump but I could see it easily being $1200+. Let me know how it turns out or is anything else I can do, you can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees. Thanks.

Thanks, I'd like to keep it under $1000

I think that should be easy if you buy parts yourself.

I'd also get quotes from at least 3 places on cost of installing pump.

OEM pump...I haven't looked..just general search for hydraulic pump 2008 sebring. I saw as low as $150 what is OEM?

OEM and Orignal Equipment Manufacture, so cost of Chrysler part. Aftermarket parts are usually fine for most parts.

I'm sorry, I don't understand. I thought we were talking $150 for the pump

We are but that is buying a aftermarket pump or used pump. To buy a new OEM pump it would cost a lot more.. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

you said " I see a used one that comes with the lifts on ebay for around $200. "
Now I'm confused :(

That is a used OEM pump that comes with lifts, you could buy just the pump you found for $150.

The lifts are in the trunk? I think they are fine
What is OEM?

That is correct, if they are fine then you are ok with just buying the pump itself. OEM is dealership brand parts which stands for "Original Equipment Manufacture". Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

ok. Thanks for explaining! I will get with a mechanic. I truly appreciate your advice

No problem, I'm happy to help. Make sure to let me know how it turns out or if you end up running into questions. Thanks again and have a good evening.

Would love to...how do I get in touch with you again?

You can reply back to this answer at any time the same way you are now, just save the link.

Will do Dan...Thank you! Have a great weekend!

Thanks, ***** ***** you.

um, I'm really embarrassed right now...how do I save this link?

Just add it to a favorite, you should also get emails where you can click on links to get back to this question.

ok, done...we'll see! Thank you Dan!

I'll be here if you need me, thanks.

Thank you :)

N​o problem, I need to be last to reply or it shows someone is waiting for me but feel free to reply with questions.

Chrysler Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 months ago

Ever get it figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer. Thanks.