Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Engine light has been on. Inital code said cylinder 5 was…

Engine light has been...

Engine light has been on. Inital code said cylinder 5 was misfiring. Had them do a tune up that did not solve t he problem so now they say the code is a blown valve and it will cost $3000 to fix. What do you think?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you seen the misfire code before? Has the car been stalling?

It has stalled a couple of times and has been running a little rough.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

It is 2010 Town and Country Touring 100,000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Town and Country yourself? What have you tried so far?

Its at the mechanics now we are just trying to decide if we want to get rid of it or pay that much to have it fixed.

3/23/2018
Mike V.v
Mike V.v, Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

It is possible a bad valve would cause the misfire. That being said, I would want to know how they came to that conclusion. If a compression test was done and that's how they found the problem, then I would say it's very possible. You might however want to get a second opinion. Don't tell them what the other place said, just let them know you had a tune up and it didn't solve the problem, so you need it checked.

This is the approach I would take with this.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

Mike V.v
Mike V.v, Technician
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Thanks that is exactly what I was thinking about the second opinion.

You are very welcome and thank you for the rating.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
tune up was completed. plugs were replaced as well as #5 ignition coil.
analysis after this reads as follows:
engine still has misfire #5 cylinder. perform compression test, very low, cylinder leakage test found leakage by exhaust valve. removed valve cover inspect valve springs, no issues seen. bad exhaust valve. removed coil, return.my question is should this repair be in the $3000 range?is it possible to less expensively fix this?paulette

Hi again, what engine do you have in this?

Most of the cost would be the labor to take the engine apart enough to get to the valves and get them out to have a new valve or valve job done. If you tell me which engine you have I might be able to get a ballpark estimate for you.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
4.0 liter

Thanks, ***** ***** a couple minutes to look it up.

Do you happen to have a list of all the stuff they want to do here?
It's 9.6 hours labor to do the valve job. This includes pulling the cylinder head, and replacing it and making the adjustments needed.

So, we are looking about roughly $1k in labor at $100 and hour and the valve sets run about $35 each.

I guess I would like to know what else they are wanting to change while they have this engine apart.

This doesn't include all the gaskets, but I can't see it needing $1500 worth of gaskets.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
what happens if this repair isn't done?
i don't have a complete list of what they want to do.i'm thinking they want to do all the cylinders
is it feasible to do just the one cyl?

Well, when they are in there it would be smart to do at least all of them on that cylinder head. If they are wanting to do all of the valves including the cylinder head that doesn't have a problem, you could tell them not too.

It would make sense the repair would be twice as much if they do all the valves.

If it were me I would see if there was a middle ground there.

Also, you might want to discuss a used engine replacement. Sometimes that works out to less then all the labor pulling your engine apart. It's cheaper to swap them.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
thank you - lots to think about

You're so very welcome, I know it's a lot and I know it's a bad spot to be in.

I will say this, if you decide to trade, don't fix it first, you won't get the money out of it on the trade. Just cut your losses and let the dealer deal with it.

Mike V.v
Mike V.v
Mike V.v, Technician