Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2007 Chrysler Sebring 2.7L. Car stopped running…

Hi Pearl. I...

Hi Pearl. I have a 2007 Chrysler Sebring 2.7L. Car stopped running while driving. Turned key and only got the "click sound" so assumed I had a bad starter. I tried to jump, but got a little smoke from location of starter, so stopped right away (battery cables were definitely hooked up correctly). I checked the battery and it is ok and not discharged. I cleaned up all contacts and replaced the starter. The old starter did have an "electrical burn smell to it." Tried with new starter and only got a click sound again. I noticed that I could not move automatic transmission drive selector out of park, so I used the shift lever overide to move the transimission into neutral. I moved easily, but the car would still not start. Just a click. I checked all the fuses I could find and none were burned out. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

No. Battery looks and smells fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sebring yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have a 2007 Chrysler Sebring 2.7L. Car stopped running while driving. Turned key and only got the "click sound" so assumed I had a bad starter. I tried to jump, but got a little smoke from location of starter, so stopped right away (battery cables were definitely hooked up correctly). I checked the battery and it is ok and not discharged. I cleaned up all contacts and replaced the starter. The old starter did have an "electrical burn smell to it." Tried with new starter and only got a click sound again. I noticed that I could not move automatic transmission drive selector out of park, so I used the shift lever overide to move the transimission into neutral. I moved easily, but the car would still not start. Just a click. I checked all the fuses I could find and none were burned out. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thanks

3/23/2018
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Technician

Welcome to JA my name is Mark.

Have you tried to rotate the crankshaft pulley by hand? If not, can you do that and then let me know if it turns or not?

Since you stated that the engine died while driving , I am wondering if something may be preventing the starter from turning the engine over.

Thanks.

I have not can you tell me how i do this? Ill study up on the youtube in the mean time
You still there Mark?

Yup still here

i was just assisting another customer. Thanks for your patience. You'll need to remove the tire and then the plastic splash shield so you can get to the crank pulley. Put a socket on the bolt head and try and turn the crank one full revolution in the clockwise direction.

Thanks. OK will try It might take awhile ill start now
No worries. I'm online for awhile yet.
OK got to pulley. Put a socket wrench on it and, with moderate effort, could not move it clockwise or counter clockwise. car is in park. should it be in neutral?

Thanks for the reply.

OK, I was suspecting that. The engine is free to rotate regardless of the gear the transmission is in so that is not the issue. It would appear you have something preventing the crank from rotating so either there is something in the engine..........such as a damaged bearing, or possibly a damaged transmission pump

Your next step would be to unbolt the torque converter from the flex plate and then try and rotate the engine again. If it still won't rotate then the issue is inside the engine. If it does rotate then the problem is in the transmission.

Hope that helps.

When you are satisfied that I have answered your question, please provide a 5 star rating since this is how your expert is compensated for taking time out of their day to assist you. However, if you need any more info please reply back to me before you provide any rating, Thanks again!

am I correct in assuming that the ultimate fix is easily over $500? (I would have to tow it to a mechanic) Can you ball park the cost if its in the engine? If its in the transmission? I'm just looking for a rough estimate. I only paid $1,200 for the car, and its owner (my daughter) is in the Navy and may be going to sea next assignment. Happy to throw in the towel if the fix is too much.

Thanks for the reply.

Cost wise, yes, it is quite likely over the $500. Probably the easiest thing to do is just replace with a complete used engine or transmission only because there will be considerable labor to tear things down and isolate the specific cause, and then there is still no guarantee it will be fixable.

Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Technician
OK, Thanks for your time. Probably gonna have the junk yard tow it away and tell my lovely daughter that a sea assignment is the best way to advance her NAVY career!!