Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I drove through a deep puddle and the car died. I wanted for…

I drove through a...

I drove through a deep puddle and the car died. I wanted for about 30 minutes that night and would try every 5 minutes or so. It would turn over and almost catch but then die. Tried again yesterday, 15 hours later and the same thing.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '15 Chrysler?

2014 Town and Country

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Town and Country yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have not tried anything yet besides waiting. I have read a little on line and have heard about opening some things up and drying them. I am interested in trying something like that if it is not too hard before getting it towed, etc.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
George H.
George H., ASE Master Technician

Hello I will help,

You probably sucked water up into the engine. The air filter needs to be inspected for evidence of water and if it is wet then the spark plugs removed from the engine to allow the water to be removed.

Please let me know how I can help you with this

Thanks

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I am somewhat handy but never do any work on my car. What you outlined sounds like it may be out of my league. How do I go about checking the air filter?

I think you need a shop to do this work, do you have AAA coverage or road service?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I have a warranty with Chrysler and talk to the dealership yesterday. They said it probably won"t be covered because it is not a mechanical failure. There is a small independent garage just down the street from where my car died. Is this something they could try pretty easily without towing the car?

Yes, the shop would want it moved there and if you contact them they will arrange for it. This is a discovery mission, first the air filter inspection and if it is wet then check that the engine is not damaged by removing the spark plugs. If they will come to you then it could be done where it is parked but not many shops will try to work that far away from their tools.

Ask them,they can tell you their capabilities.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Also, do you think giving it another day or two to dry out might help?

No, waiting to have it repaired will not help it dry out. You need to get the water out ASAP and the damage if any repaired. Your insurance may help if you have full coverage and there is significant damage

George H.
George H., ASE Master Technician
George H.
George H.
George H., ASE Master Technician