Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2007 T&C Tour stow n go 3.8ltr, auto side door problems, all…

Customer Question
2007 T&C Tour stow...

2007 T&C Tour stow n go 3.8ltr, auto side door problems, all locks work for unlock lock with fob and panel switch. Driver side auto open makes loud clicking noise when trying to open from piller-overhead-fob, but if manual open motor will finish open or close lock procedure, passenger auto door will unlock lock with panel switch and fob, but will not open close with pillar overhead or fob SOMETIMES, in morning when van is off and still fob will open door on pass or drive side. Might work once or twice and then stops makes clicking sound again on drive and stops working on pass side, BUT will complete open close lock on both doors if latch release then press auto door button on pillar-overhead-or fob. Replace both actuators same condition after new install. Both doors will complete auto lock and secure door procedure if closed lightly and left to the auto program.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fob's battery?

Fob works everything else rear hatch lock unlock open auto doors

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '07 Chrysler?

Doors just won't open

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Rearl not trying to be a putx...but...have yopu read my opening post above

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have r&r the ido fuse checked the auto door fuse, replaced both actuators, opened wire snake track and checked for shorted wires,

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Chrysler
3/21/2018
Chrysler Mechanic: Dennis Gooch,
 replied 1 month ago
Dennis Gooch

Hi! My name is Dennis. I can help you. Sorry the reception was asking you repetitive questions, it is a computer program, not a live person. Give me a bit of time to do some research and I will get back to you soon!

Chrysler Mechanic: Dennis Gooch,
 replied 1 month ago

Based on your symptoms, by far the most likely cause of this problem is going to be the power door motor and cable assembly has failed. They will do exactly as you described when failing. The electrical harness should always be replaced as part of this repair as well. This is a repair I would recommend taking to dealer or a shop to accomplish as it can be moderately difficult and requires a diagnostic scan tool to clear codes and re-initialize door operation after repairs are done. If you feel you would like to tackle this yourself just let me know and I can forward you the repair procedures. Wish I had better news. I thank you in advance for giving me a positive rating for this answer, that is how I get credit for my efforts and it positively will not stop me from corresponding further with you on this subject and/or sending you reference materials. Thanks so much. Dennis

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello Dennis, My name is***** driver side passenger door is the best place to start. I have replaced the actuator with a new doorman. I have opened the track wire system to check for shorted or broken wires. Everything in the wire harness that in directly under the door is solid/sound. After re-reassembly and the new actuator in place, the same LOUD! clicking noise is coming from the actuator location. The only other item there is the electro/mechanical device that the actuator is attached to. I will call it the door lock mechanism. It is not the door motor assembly which is lower in the door frame and slightly forward of center of door. The electro/mechanical door lock mechanism has three wire connections and three separate tension cables attached to it. I have gone to the grave yard and retrieved a used 2005 T&C electro/mechanical door lock mechanism that I will install today. Hopefully it fixes the driver side door if not we will be talking again. Now as to the passenger side door. The new actuator fixed the lock unlock problem that I had with that door but either opening or closing with the pillar button, the overhead panel or the key fob will not get the door to release from it's catch. If I manually open or close by only releasing the door from it's latch, meaning just a click, then press the button on any of the three places it will open and close and it will complete the secure open and close procedure by latching the door either open or close. But pressing the button again will only sometimes get the door to release from it's latched position either opened or closed. Sometimes in the morning I will come out and unlock the passenger door then use the fob to request an open procedure and it will work fine and then it will close (excuse the term) naturally (normal) and may work for two or three times then for no reason apparent it stops working normally and again will not release from it's latched position.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well by replacing the electro/mechanical door lock mechanism with the new/used part from the 05 T&C and putting my new actuator on it the driver door is solved fixed repaired... :) I put the actuator that I took off from the driver side door and installed it on the passenger side door and now the passenger door unlocks/locks by the door switch or fob. BUT!!! we still have the open close problem from the pillar fob or overhead panel. Cannot get the latch to release when an open or close door request is made through the available buttons. Just what does the actuator do?? Is it only for locking unlocking the door or does it have another function when the open close request is made?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have another actuator that I bought (New and was going to return) and did not use it because the driver side door actuator worked to unlock the door before I took it out. That's why I installed it on the Passenger side door, and it worked the pass door now locks and unlocks when requested through the available buttons. BUT!! does it have more to do with the open close door request??
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I must say that "Just Answer" estimates an answer in 8 mins, I didn't hear from you until 11am the next morning and I have left 3 additional messages and have received no reply's. It does not seem to be a very successful venture at least for my part. At this rate I don't figure on having another answer until sometime tomorrow. Which means that the vehicle is down for another day. Not to put to fine a point on the matter, your initial suggestion to replace the motor was completely without merit as it would not have corrected the problem. But to continue, I was willing to move forward with the passenger door repair, but after waiting the rest of the day for an answer, this is all pretty much a bust.
Chrysler Mechanic: Dennis Gooch,
 replied 1 month ago

I'm sorry that I could not meet your expectations. It is not an easy prospect to try to diagnose a complex problem as this over a chat. As for the response time issue, you might want to take that up with customer service. I am a master technician working in the field, so I take the time to answer questions whenever possible. I will opt out so that a different expert can try and step in to help you that may be better suited.

Dennis Gooch
Dennis Gooch
Dennis Gooch