Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Had the coolant system checked the other day, had lots of…

Customer Question
Had the coolant system...

Had the coolant system checked the other day, had lots of air in system. Pressure check was good. I drove to store last night sat at idle for a bit and heard a pop and gurgle sound. Now no heat, and temp wont hold at nornal.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working? What about the coolant level?

Thermostat was working, coolant level was fine till it blew out of overflow

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

06 300

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 300 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Shop vacuumed the air out thecoolant system. I would like to try not to spend another 300

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that i can think of

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chrysler
3/20/2018
Chrysler Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 3 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

The pop noise and gurgle sounds like air was still trapped in the system and it released which then allowed the component with the air pocket to suck in coolant which lowered the coolant level which will then affect the heater and the coolant temp gauge.

Check and see if the coolant is low now with a cold engine.If it is top off the coolant and see if this resolves the fault.If the coolant continues to go low or builds pressure blowing out the over flow and you know for sure the thermostat is o.k. then a block test needs done.This is a simple test most shops or a dealer can perform and usually takes less then an hour to do.This will help determine if you have an internal leak with a cylinder head gasket.The leak would be one that is allowing coolant to leak into the cylinders and burn off in the engine as well as allowing exhaust into the coolant allowing the air pocket issues and over flow issues.You can even purchase this tester from a local parts store and it comes with easy to follow instructions to do this testing for you to check yourself if you want.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7001006

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

They did pressure test at shop it was good, i agree with the air, but he vacuumed the air out. Resevior is low on fill side but the overflow side is full and has been since last night. The thermostat was good, but since car wontt hold normal temp, cNt tell if its working now or not. Coolant aslo blows out of the overflow pin hole, but has a new resevior and cap.

I have seen where a thermostat will stick intermittently and can cause an issue like this here.It is very possible the thermostat is sticking causing this fault here and needs replaced.If the pressure test came back o.k. and if the system was vacuumed out and refilled I am leaning on a fault with the thermostat not opening properly.Its the only other thing I can think of besides a restriction in the coolant system causing this issue here.

Thanks Pete

Y would coolant get stuck on overflow side of resevior, and not transfer back to the fill side?

No it should.If the radiator is low it should suck fluid in from the reservoir as needed.This is as long as the radiator and reservoir cap are both operating properly and there are no restrictions in the line between the reservoir and radiator.You want to check and make sure that is all o.k.

Thanks Pete