Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1999 Chrysler concord 2.7. My battery light came on and had…

1999 Chrysler concord 2.7. My...
1999 Chrysler concord 2.7. My battery light came on and had the charging system checked. Was told the alternator was bad so I had it changed. Still doesn't charge. Found blown 20 amp fuse in engine bay fuse box so I replaced it. Now the system charges 15 volts at idle and 17 volts at 2000 rpm. The lights start to flicker so I shut it down.
3/19/2018
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** the new alternator is charging at 17 volts, then the problem is inside the computer, the ECM , the main computer has the regulator for the alternator built into it, so the ECM will need to be replaced,Tim

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Why did the fuse blow. Is this a common issue

the fuse will blow, because it was overcharging, and yes thisis common on these, the fuse blows to protect the other circuits from the voltage spike,Tim

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I figured. I will have the computer changed tommorow and get back.

let me know, and please dont forget to rate me, so I can get credit for helping, thanks,Tim

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Installed a reman. ecm today and for about 10 minutes it charged 13.0 volts at idle and the battery light stayed off. As soon as I accelerate above 2,000 rpm the light comes on and stays on even though its charging???

and what is the voltage when you rev it up? does it stay at 13.0

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No it climbs to 16 and 17 volts

then you most likely have a bad cell in the battery, how old is the battery?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will check

let me know

Please dont forget to rate me, so I can get credit for helping,Thanks,Tim

Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Replaced the battery and got 30 miles out of it before the battery light came on again. Charging 18.5volts at idle?
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
New alternator, New battery, Reman. PCM twice and still no change.
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH