Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It's a jeep. 1997 jeep Cherokee 4.0l 4wd. I am, use to work…

Hello it's a jeep ...

Hello it's a jeep

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

1997 jeep Cherokee 4.0l 4wd

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am, use to work for jeep dealer

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have codes p0700 p1694, p1698 n my cluster is acting up

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

I erased them n they come back..

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Amedee
Amedee, Chrysler Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Are you looking for some possible causes?

Can you please list everything that has been replaced for these codes up to this point?

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok i followed a diagnostic n said cps was bad so i replaced it.. n still same thing
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My neutral safety switch is acting up can that cause those codes too

Does the engine start and run?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
but sometimes rough n sometimes good

Ok got it! These codes indicate an issue with a failing module on board the vehicle. It could be any of the modules on board the vehicle. Would you like me to provide you with the list of modules?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yea n how do i test to see which one is bad

The best way would be to check the voltage on the BUS circuit with the key on when this happens. You can do that down at the data link connector. Here is a list of all of the modules on board the vehicle.

Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM), Airbag Control Module (ACM), Powertrain Control Module (PCM), Transmission Control Module (TCM), Overhead Console (if equipped), Compass (if equipped) and Instrument Cluster (IC). Unplug these one at a time while monitoring the BUS voltage.

Keep in mind this is a "starting point". My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Do you have any further questions sir?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm a third shifter need to get some sleep i need to finish tomorrow

Sounds good!

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or offline spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!

Amedee
Amedee, Chrysler Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The voltage stayed the same except for the pcm was -.41 n went to +.31 , i don't have chip so i don't think i have a skim module..

Got it, thank you for that information. Then I would suspect another module on board the vehicle.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The tcm , air bag module, and cluster tje voltage stayed -.41 but when I unplugged the pcm it went from -.41 to +.31

So what is your question sir?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
doesn't that mean a bad pcm because when it's plugged in the bus + is negative and when you disconnect it the bus goes to positive

While the PCM could very well be faulty, I have never heard of that being a valid test.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not sure what you meant by that you wpuld suspect another module

Please call me now

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When i disconnected the pcm pin 11 went to 2.4 but pin 3 is 0

And what about the other modules?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Air bag n tcm no change

Ok, then yes, this sounds like a faulty PCM.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Pin 3 has 4.3 volts with cluster un plugged pin 11 is 0
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is that a problem

YES

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
4.3 at pin 3 only if pcm is plugged in.. n cluster wasn't
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
bad pcm

I would leave the cluster plugged in during this test.

Keep in mind, all powers and grounds need to be checked going into any module before replacing it.

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Chrysler Technician