Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I had an issue with the ignition...changed the ignition pin…

Customer Question
I had an issue...

I had an issue with the ignition...changed the ignition pin which was broken... and it still wont start... I wonder if I have to re program the immobilizer

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

No... newer battery and is still quite powerful...

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

2004 vchrysler pacifica

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pacifica yourself? What have you tried so far?

It was the Ignition switvh activator that I changed...It had broken off whete it goes into the immobilizer...yes fixing it myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have tried every suggestion... disheartening when you see a real problem and it still doesnt fix it...

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Chrysler
3/19/2018
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are quite a few things that can cause a no start condition, especially depending on what it is actually doing, and it will require some testing to determine exactly what is going on. If it doesn't crank then you may have a bad ignition switch, starter, starter relay, it could be a poor engine ground, the powertrain control module may not be awake for whatever reason.

Is there any noise from the engine compartment when turning the key to the crank position?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No.. it doesn't turn over at all...

Does the PRNDL display show that the trans is in park?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it is in park... It's far beyond that...the ignition lock connects to the ignition switch activator...the tip was broken off... It should have fixed the problem...my issues are much deeper that if it is in park or not...it is whether or not the immobilizer orkey need reprogrammed...I have been long way down this road... much further than if it is in park or battery issues...the battery and connections are good...it started with the actuator tip breaking ...I just need to the next step past this point...

I wasn't suggesting that it isn't park. I'm trying to determine if the PCM is awake, the transmission range sensor is accurate and if the engine is grounded.

How many power feeds are present at the starter relay with the key in the crank position?

Does the fuel pump run when the key is turned on?

Does the S***** *****ght do a bulb check and go out, flash, or stay on solid?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't know... I just know the actuator tip is turning the immobilizer and it isn't starting and it was working just fine before that and when I pulled it out and the actuator tip fell out I to my hand it just seemed that it would fix the issue but it didn't...just really want to know if there is a method to reconnect the key to the immobilizer...

You're going to need to determine these things if you want to continue trying to diagnose the problem yourself.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know it would be easier if we were speaking by phone but I don't want to pay more money

I'm not able to talk on the phone.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah...just really want the info to program the key so the immobilizer will function properly..

A dealer scan tool is needed to program a key, but the only way for a key to not be programmed is if it is intentionally erased with a dealer scan tool.

If the problem were with the key not being recognized then the S***** *****ght would have been flashing and the engine would have started and died twice.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician