Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Trying to program new key. That's it

Customer Question
Trying to program new...

Trying to program new key

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

That's it

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Chrysler
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have pd 16$ to get help programming my new key. I am asking for contact please.
(###) ###-####
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/18/2018
Chrysler Mechanic: Mopar Certified, Technician replied 1 month ago
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Technician

Welcome to JA my name is Mark.

How can I be of assistance today?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Tried to program my new key in a 2006 pt cruiser with the handbook instructions. Total failings. Yes it is the proper key. Got ahold of obd2 machine. Can't find where to change the number from 2 keys to 4. Cause I have 2 new keys.

Thanks for the reply.

Each ignition key used in the Sentry Key Remote Entry System has a transponder chip included on the circuit board beneath the cover of the integral Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter . In addition to having to be cut to match the mechanical coding of the ignition lock cylinder and programmed for operation of the RKE system, each new Sentry Key has a unique transponder identification code that is permanently programmed into it by the manufacturer, and which must be programmed into the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module , sometimes referred to as the Wireless Control Module (WCM), to be recognized by as a valid key.

The Customer Learn feature is only available on domestic vehicles, or those vehicles which have a U.S. country code designator. This programming method also requires access to at least two valid Sentry Keys. If two valid Sentry Keys are not available, or if the vehicle does not have a U.S. country code designator, the Secured Access Method must be used to program new or additional valid keys to the SKREEM. The Customer Learn programming method procedures are as follows:

1.Obtain the blank Sentry Key(s) that are to be programmed as valid keys for the vehicle. Cut the blank key(s) to match the ignition switch lock cylinder mechanical key codes.

2.Insert one of the two valid Sentry Keys into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch to the On position.

3.After the ignition switch has been in the On position for longer than 3 seconds, but no more than 15 seconds, cycle the ignition switch back to the Off position. Replace the first valid Sentry Key in the ignition switch lock cylinder with the second valid Sentry Key and turn the ignition switch back to the On position. The second valid Sentry Key must be inserted in the lock cylinder within 15 seconds of removing the first valid key.

4.About 10 seconds after the completion of Step #3, the security indicator in the instrument cluster will start to flash to indicate that the system has entered the Customer Learn programming mode.

5.Within 60 seconds of entering the Customer Learn programming mode, turn the ignition switch to the Off position, replace the valid Sentry Key with a blank Sentry Key transponder, and turn the ignition switch back to the On position.

6.About 10 seconds after the completion of Step #5, the security indicator will stop flashing, stay on solid for 3 seconds, then turn off to indicate that the blank Sentry Key has been successfully programmed. The SKREES will immediately exit the Customer Learn programming mode. After the ignition is cycled the vehicle may be started using the newly programmed valid Sentry Key.

Hope that helps to answer your question.

When you are satisfied that I have answered your question, please provide a 5 star rating since this is how your expert is compensated for taking time out of their day to assist you. However, if you need any more info please reply back to me before you provide any rating, Thanks again!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yep. Tried your recommendations. Have original 2 keys. Am original owner.etc. Did get a new computer 2 yrs ago from the dealer. Would something else need to be done?

Thanks for the reply.

Those are the only instructions for the do it yourself routine for key programming, unfortunately. If those are not working for you then unfortunately the only other option would be to have a certified locksmith/shop/or dealer do the programming for you with their scan tool.

Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Technician