Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2010 Chrysler 300C 5.7 V8 Hemi I had taken it in on…

Customer Question
Hello I have a 2010...
Hello I have a 2010 Chrysler 300C 5.7 V8 Hemi I had taken it in on a recall for the time chain and guide and when I got it back I had cylinder eight misfiring constantly turned out the camshaft lobe and hydraulic lifter on cylinder 8 have been grinded down... In efforts to I replaced the camshaft, lifters with OEM parts, after reassembly the car will crank over but it will not start... Any thoughts?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Chrysler
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I believe I have everything reassembled as far as connections and parts I reinstalled the fuel pump relay and the ignition coil and fuel injector fuse, I applied more tension to the serpentine belt, the only thing I haven't assembled back on the vehicle yet is the front bumper...
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But that's the way it's kind of acting as if the serpentine belt wasn't tight enough so it's cranking over fine but sound like it is slower than normal
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was even thinking maybe in the tensioner on the timing chain but that was just replaced with the recall... and that's perform another compression test, (leak down test if necessary) and then check for spark again, after that I'll perform another fuel pressure test but so far all tests have come back inconclusive..I'm baffled
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also I Primed the fuel rails by putting the key in turning it to ignition mode back off & on again listening for the fuel pump... unless there's an alternative way to Prime the rails but that's the only way I know how
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Any advice, thoughts or even experimental attempts to rectify or diagnose this issue would be greatly appreciated.
thank you
3/19/2018
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are quite a few things that can prevent the engine from starting and it's going to require some testing to determine exactly what is going on. If the problem is directly related to the work that was done then I'd first suspect the engine is out of time, but it may be a wiring issue, damaged cam sensor, or it could possibly be an unrelated problem.

Can you explain how the timing chain and sprockets were installed?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The sprocket on the camshaft with already attached but when I realigned after putting the engine or the first piston at top dead center on the compression stroke I lined up the tick marks the cam at 12 in the crank at 2 and put the single link on the cam at 12 and the double link of the chain on the crank at 6

You're out of time then. With the crank sprocket mark at 12:00 you needed to center the two plated links between it, the single link went to the crank sprocket dot with the crank close to 6:00. You'll need to remove the timing cover and install the chain correctly and then see if it starts. The intake valves may be bent.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm sure you meant the cam sprocket needed to be at 12 correct?
I apologize I'm not trying to make you reiterate just to clarify information is correct...
In addition the specs show that the crankshaft gear needs to be placed at the two, in reference to the chain, the Spec's also describe the double link placed at the bottom of the crankshaft in a vertical position in relation to the cam leaving the single link at the 12 on the camshaft ...is that not correct?

Yes, the cam sprocket mark is at 12:00 with the two plated links on either side of the mark.

The crank sprocket mark is not at 2:00, it's near 6:00. The dot is near 6:00 and lines up to the single plated link on the chain.

Whatever service information you're looking at is absolutely incorrect.

What publication is this information from and can you upload a picture of it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do see now that the crankshaft gear has to be located at the six but it also says that the sprocket I believe need to be facing the two regarding the crankshaft and the timing chain looks like it was reverse in the service manual from Chrysler which I uploaded a file for reference
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But also the sprocket on the camshaft was never removed it was attached to the flywheel I guess same with the crankshaft which I only see one sprocket with a slot I'm not sure what they're referring to in the manual one being at 2 and one being at 6

It's showing the sprocket marks in the locations I described but the plated links are opposite because you're using the wrong year service manual. This manual is for an older, pre variable cam timing engine. You need the marks in the locations shown here, but the two plated links straddle the cam mark at 12, and the single mark goes to the crank sprocket at approximately 6:00.

It says the crankshaft key is at 2:00, not the timing mark.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry for the dumb question but the crankshaft key and the notch in the gear correct? and the timing mark would that be located...?
The timing mark is the dot on the sprocket.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do understand where the crankshaft keys I just haven't been able to find any timing marks but I guess if I take an account the key on the crankshaft need to be at 2 then I can assume the timing mark should be at the 6 on the crankshaft...is that right?...ill send a pic

The mark is going to be near 6:00 and isn't visible in the picture.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok ill give it a shot thanks

You're welcome!

The marks aren't visible in the picture, but if it wasn't setting a P0016 then it was in time.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay yeah I wasn't sitting off p0016 but I guess the base of my question is to finding TDC ....would I just have to put the first piston at the top, maybe with the stopper on a compression stroke or is there an easier way?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do you find top dead center without using any markings on the pulleys or sprocket?
You aren't concerned with finding top dead center.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thats a big help..thanks

You're welcome.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi again just touching base I got the timing cover and everything off but on the cam sprocket there's no markings except for a hole that you can see all the way through is that the mark?
In addition to crank sprocket i cleaned it very thorough and I still can't find the tick mark and must have been rubbed off or something...

If you upload clear pictures of the front of the sprockets I can point out the marks.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician