Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I had a new chip key made after losing mine... When the car…

I had a new...

I had a new chip key made after losing mine... When the car was towed to the key-shop, they had to put it in neutral so they disconnected the sensor on the shift lever. Now the key won't come out of the contract and the car is stuck in 2nd gear... It is a Sebring convertible 2004.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Transmission is 2004, where is the break switch?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MiniE yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet, disconnected the sensor of the shift lever and put it back in. That's it..

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nope. Thanks

3/18/2018
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

It sounds like you have a couple different issues going on. The key not coming out is related to transmission shift interlock, but if the trans is staying in second gear while driving that's a separate issue. It's going to require some diagnostics to determine the cause of each issue.

Does the shifter move through all positions correctly?

it does, smoothly without any problems.

Do you know exactly what was disconnected? There isn't a sensor at the shifter.

A little connector to the right side of the shift lever.

Was the interlock cable removed?

Stuck in 2nd gear it does go over 2000 rpm. It just won't go to 3rd. Before the tow all was working fine..
No , cable wasn't removed.

You're going to need to have the codes read from the transmission control module to begin diagnosis of the trans in limp in.

The key not coming out is either due to the shifter not fully going into park or the interlock cable is misadjusted.

Could it be that the new chip key gives a wrong signal to the computer by any chance?

The problems are not related to the key.

Ok. Thank you for your help.

You're welcome!

Please remember to rate my performance before leaving the site as that is the only way I receive credit for helping you; a five star rating is greatly appreciated!

Good luck with your vehicle!

sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician