Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Alternator not charging it's a new alternator I've replaced…

Customer Question
Alternator not charging it's...

Alternator not charging it's a new alternator I've replaced all positive battery and starter cables and checked all the grounds I know of replaced the wire from alternator to pcm and also replaced pmc car starts just fine with no engine light but when its supposed to kick the alternator on it doesn't and battery light comes on

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on and battery dies

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

2003 lx I think has the 2.4 duel over head cam

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your LX yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes as I said from the beginning I've pretty much replaced everything from the alternator to the pcm and all the wires in between only thing I have tired is replacing the starter but idk if it affects the alternator I can manually ground the pulsating ground for the pcm and the alternator kicks on

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Um no

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chrysler
3/17/2018
Chrysler Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Have you tried to manually ground wire at PCM to see if it kicks in ?

it does

When you jump PCM have you verified voltage at battery increases?

it does just under 16 volts
I'm thinking my replacement pcm is bad I've literally done everything unless there's something I missed

I agree with you, just kinda odd that both PCM's have the exact same problem but I don't see what else there is besides the PCM either. Replace it and let me know, thanks.

If problem still exists I'd consider installing a external voltage regulator.

Ik that's what I was thinking is there anything with the ignition or starter the sends a signal to the pcm to start charging

No there isn't the PCM monitors battery voltage and it is low it activates the ground circuit from PCM as needed, it is a pretty straight forward setup. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

How do the external regulators work and do you know where I can buy one

They usually control the ground side of regulator. So in that case you would want to directly power the dark green wire then have regulator control ground on the black/tan wire. So there are 2 wires that connect to regulator then case is grounded. Ignition power, then ground control from alternator. You should be able to get one from your local parts store. Let me know how it goes or if you run into questions. Thanks.

Are they universal? Several came up when I searched Advance Auto website. Not sure which one

Ya they are universal, let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.

Chrysler Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 months ago

Ever get it figured out?

Not yet had to argue with the place to exchange my pcm waiting on a new one to come

I agree that would be next step besides adding external regulator, I really don't see what else it could be. Let me know how it turns out, thanks.

Any luck?

Haven't had much time to work on it because of work. Could you possibly help me find the right kind of voltage regulator?
Thanks will order it

No problem, let me know how it goes. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi I got the external regulator today and hooked it up the best I could figure but still doesn't charge I don't know if I have it wired right I can't find and diagrams showing how thanks
Chrysler Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 month ago

black is -, red is +, green goes to dark green, and yellow will need to connect to a stator circuit inside the alternator. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok the yellow wire is the one I couldn't figure out how do I connect it inside the alternator

I ​do not have any diagrams but you can pull case apart on alternator then tie wire into stator once you have apart. You can send me some pictures once you have it apart and I can show you where to connector wire.

E​ver get it figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer, thanks.