Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2006 pt the old fella that owns it don’t use it much anymore…

2006 pt the old...

2006 pt the old fella that owns it don’t use it much anymore .he has a problem with the battery keeping a charge but he has not started it for some time now . So I went over and charged the battery . Started it up and for a quick check I pulled the + cable not having a meter with me years ago if it stalled it ment the alternator was bad dose that still hold true

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery? Do you hear a clicking when you try and start the car?

Well before the battery was charged it gave a click but when I charged it enough it stared right up I let I run for a while then I took the cable off it ran for about 6. Min then is ask him to put the lights on to put a little bit of a load on . He. Couldn’t find the lights but the car stalled when I put the cable back on the key was on I heard a click and something like turn onbrefly I think it might have been the fuel pump because I couldn’t find anything on in the car . In any case it started right up but now as soon as I pull the cable off it shuts right down

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just wrote it all down

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Pulling the cable off is not a good test and on newer vehicles that can cause some serious problems. When pulling the cable it causes alternator to do full charge and the high voltage can damage electronic components. With a meter you can monitor battery voltage while vehicle is running, it should maintain at least 13v with all of the accessories on but if alternator was problem it would probably have the battery indicator on dash on. It sounds like problem is either a bad battery or battery drain problem. I'd recommend having battery fully charged then have a load test done which can be done at parts store for free. >If load test pases then next step is a battery draw test which is where you need to monitor amperage d raw with vehicle off and pull each fuse one at a time to see which one drops amperage, then look on that circuit for problems. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Just put one leg of the volt meter on either side of the fuse . The key has to be on yes .

To do the amperage draw test you disconnect battery negative then put one lead on cable and one lead on battery with meter in amperage setting. Then with key off monitor amperage while removing each fuse one at a time. To monitor battery voltage one lead of meter goes on negative and one lead of meter goes on positive with meter in DC Voltage setting. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

thank you for your help

No problem, I'm happy to help. Let me know how it goes or if you end up running into questions, you can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees. Thanks again and please do not forget to rate answer.

Dan, Technician